Ok Computer

elester

bah, secondo me pure i pooh, in certi album degli anni 70, cercavano di fare un pò il gruppo prog...

certo, era di moda allora ;)

e comunque io in aqualung a parte forse my god non ci vedo nulla di progressive :huh:

a me sembra un misto tra blues-rock e folk-rock... un grandissimo disco, per altro

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bah, secondo me pure i pooh, in certi album degli anni 70, cercavano di fare un pò il gruppo prog...

e comunque io in aqualung a parte forse my god non ci vedo nulla di progressive :huh:

a me sembra un misto tra blues-rock e folk-rock... un grandissimo disco, per altro

era di moda eccome ,se tu pensi a gruppi di quel periodo come gli Area o i PFM

fai più folk-rock... ed infatti quello che cercavo di dire nel post...

già le classifiche per loro sono inutili.... ma le classifiche sul progressive sono DEMENZIALI

I jethro tull ( :wub: ) i Genesis ed i King unici veri prog nella lista.. ah.. e gli Yes anche.. secondo me eh..

Poi, ognuno ha i suoi parametri di classificazione musicali.. Ma i Radiohead.. boh.. non li giudico assolutamente prog..

I Love.. i Beatles ( di Sgt Pepper's o Abbey road ) gli Emerson lake.. I Vdgg.. i Bauhaus.. i Gentle giant .. ecco.. loro si..

ma tu una risposta sensata mai eh? :ph34r:

ma tu una risposta sensata mai eh? :ph34r:

già :ph34r:

se ok computer è progressive, io sono lester bangs

e nonostante odi le classifiche, penso che aqualung e in the court of the crimson king sotto the dark side of the moon sia una BESTEMMIA

quoto tutto quello che dice

per il resto agaetis byrjun non è progressive manco lui

ah a parte OK computer salvo solo UNO DI QUESTI DISCHI

INDOVINATE QUALE!

SFIDONE...

cazzo mica letto agaetis byrjun... quello è progressive come i metallica sono ambient...

comunque... boh... io ci provo...

ragionandoci... essendo che tu ODI the dark side of the moon ( <_< ) pensoc eh tu potresti salvare (escludendo ok computer)

king crimson

yes

genesis

(bonus jethro tull... ma è una mi speranza... qualcosa mi dice che li stroncherai :P )

( mike oldfield... credo anche... boh...)

ottimo regular

beh ragazzi, non esageriamo! siete peggio di loro! PARANOID ANDROID E' PROGRESSIVE. il resto no, capisco, ma il concetto di prog non è così statico.

e poi, dai, i sigur SONO prog. almeno si avvicinano, non penso sia una cosa insensata dire che sono prog. ok, non è nel contesto, e blabla, tutto quello che si può dire sulle copertine-testi-movimenti-virtuosismi-strumenti ecc, peerò.. li trovi anche su prog archives. e a ragione, qualcosa in comune c'è nel modo di concepire la musica del prog

Continuo a non essere d'accordo.

Il fatto che i due gruppi siano all'interno del sito vuol dire ben poco, anche perchè se vai a vedere sono catalogati come Experimental/Post-Rock.

Se non sapete dare una definizione al genere Progressive Rock, qui di seguito incollo un bel saggio presente su Allmusic.com Che trovate anche qui

Progressive Rock

an Essay by Richie Unterberger

Devotees of progressive rock have to fend off more vilification than fans of almost any other rock genre. Pure-bred rock & rollers scorn it for lacking rock's earthier and poppier elements; scholars of classical and serious music find it too simple and undemanding to merit attention; latter-day punks and new wavers held it aloft as a target, painting it as the embodiment of the self-satisfied dinosaur that the music business had become, and one which needed to be deflated (in the days when John Lydon joined the Sex Pistols so the story goes, he wore a T-shirt emblazened with the logo "I hate Pink Floyd"). Nonetheless, progressive rock was one of the defining styles of '70s rock, and responsible for some of rock's most ambitious — and pretentious — efforts.

Progressive rock came in many shapes and sizes, but it can be loosely defined as music that attempted to combine rock and psychedelia with classical, symphonic, and literary elements. Most of the groups placed instrumental virtuosity at a premium, used keyboards rather more than the typical rock group, and used synthesizers a lot more than the typical rock group. Electric guitars were also important, sometimes battling it out with the keyboards, sometimes taking off for lofty, lengthy solos on their own. Lyrically, prog-rockers didn't neglect love songs entirely, but were usually more concerned with weighty philosophical matters, which were often influenced by psychedelic drugs, science fiction, and fantasy, sometimes on an epic scale. Virtually all of the major prog-rock groups were British in origin, some hailing from the European continent as well.

Progressive rock — sometimes called "art-rock" — has its origins in the British psychedelic scene of the late '60s. The Moody Blues were the first group to combine rock with classical symphonic music on their 1967 album Days of Future Passed. On subsequent albums, they dispensed with the actual orchestra and used synthesizers and sophisticated studio techniques to create symphonies by themselves. Few groups have endured as much frenzied adulation and vituperative criticism as the Moodies; undeniably pretentious, they were also one of progressive rock's most infectiously melodic acts.

Also massively popular were the Pink Floyd who turned increasingly serious-minded after the departure of their original leader, Syd Barrett in early 1968. Many thought the band was dead with the loss of Barrett their original songwriter, guitarist, and singer, whose inimitable sense of whimsy made the group's 1967 debut, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, one of the greatest psychedelic rock albums. The Floyd surprised their critics by getting bigger and bigger, with increasingly lengthy and spacious experimental epics whose electronic eerieness defined early "head music" for many listeners.

While their big international breakthrough was 1973's Dark Side of the Moon, which remains one of the best-selling albums of all time, their earlier output contained some of their most original work, and the group never entirely lost sight of their pop and blues roots.

Other key British bands of the late '60s were the Soft Machine who incorporated jazz and Dadaism into their psychedelic hard rock; Procol Harum who used multi-layered keyboards, melodies with strong echoes of classical music, and the consciously literary lyrics of Keith Reid; the Nice who featured Keith Emerson's virtuosic, classical-inspired keyboards and flamboyant showmanship; the Pretty Things whose rock opera S.F. Sorrow predated the Who's Tommy by about a year; and Jethro Tull whose early mixes of blues-rock and Rahsaan Roland Kirk soon metamorphosed into inscrutable album-length epic poems with strong hints of traditional English folk music.

For many aficionados, the first true progressive rock band were King Crimson whose 1969 debut was a groundbreaking synthesis of stately virtuosity and fierce guitars and Mellotrons. Although some critics would be loathe to concur, early reviewers often compared King Crimson's first lineup to the similarly melodic and Mellotron-laden excursions of the early Moody Blues. With guitarist Robert Fripp at the helm, the group endured several rapid changes of personnel and quickly became a less song-oriented outfit, with increasing emphasis on flights of instrumental virtuosity and dense, challenging material with strong jazz and avant-garde influences.

Even as early as 1970, there were striking subdivisions within the progressive rock school. Several of the most critically respected bands clustered around the banner of the Canterbury sound; spearheaded by the Soft Machine these also included Caravan, Hatfield & the North, and Soft Machine-offshoots like Matching Mole, Gong and the solo work of ex- Softs, Robert Wyatt and Kevin Ayers. Lighter in tone than the most commercially successful exponents of the genre, they also frequently exhibited a sense of humor that the superstars were not exactly prone to display.

While these bands may have gotten critical accolades, it was up to Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Genesis to shift serious units. While Pink Floyd used fairly economic licks on their epics, the other stars tended to brandish flashy instrumental passages by guitar and keyboard heroes like Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson. All their considerable bombast couldn't mask a firm grasp of songwriting hooks and tasty instrumental riffs that the masses found most palatable.

When they deigned to examine art-rock, critics reserved a lot of their enthusiasm for Roxy Music whose ironic pop was flavored with unnerving synthesizer blasts from Brian Eno. After a short time with Roxy, Eno split for a solo career and recorded increasingly abstract, and increasingly instrumental, rock-flavored compositions that rank among the most well-respected art-rock and avant-rock recordings of all time, although Eno would largely forsake rock by the late '70s for contemporary composition (he continues to work with many rock performers as a producer).

Then there were was a wing of progressive rock that was primarily instrumental. Unsurprisingly, many of these acts came from the European continent, and used the instrumental format as a way to circumvent their limited grasp of English, the lingua franca of popular music. Germany's Kraftwerk had a surprise Top Ten album in the mid-'70s with Autobahn; their foreboding, electronic textures, as well as those of fellow German bands like Can, Amon Düül, Faust, and Tangerine Dream, gave rise to the school of "Kraut rock" (dubbed as such by England's Virgin Records, who marketed the bands to an international audience), and had a considerable influence on new wave acts several years later. Holland's Focus featuring guitar wizard Jan Akkerman, Greece's Aphrodite's Child (featuring a young Vangelis), and Italy's P.F.M. also made international inroads. And in the U.K., Mike Oldfield (who had played guitar with Kevin Ayers) had a huge international hit with the instrumental suite Tubular Bells.

Progressive rock's influence declined after the mid-'70s; the punk/new wave and disco explosions were factors, but more important, a lot of the bands broke up, moved toward more pop-oriented fare, or simply played themselves out. The British Harvest and Virgin labels, instrumental in exposing the music to a wide audience, wound down their activities (Harvest) or moved on to the larger pop/rock market (Virgin). Groups like Electric Light Orchestra, Boston, Foreigner, Journey, Asia, Kansas and Supertramp became massively successful by incorporating progressive rock's flashiest attributes into their brands of mainstream pop/rock.

With a more modified symphonic lens, bands like the Moody Blues and Pink Floyd remain superstar concert attractions and big record sellers whenever they reassemble to work in the studio or hit the road, and scattered modern bands like Marillion pursue the original prog-rock ideal. From the other side of the spectrum, performers like Fred Frith, Henry Kaiser, Robert Fripp, Material and Public Image Limited took progressive rock into more avant-garde territory than it ever dared to tread during its heyday. And there's no doubt that the loftier excursions of performers like the Who, Led Zeppelin, the Mothers of Invention, Peter Gabriel, and David Bowie owe not a little to the better values of progressive rock.

12 Essential Progressive Rock Albums:

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon (Capitol)

Procol Harum, Procol Harum (Deram)

The Moody Blues, Days of Future Passed (Polydor)

Yes, Fragile (Atlantic)

Brian Eno, Here Come the Warm Jets (EG)

The Soft Machine, The Soft Machine Volumes 1 & 2 (Big Beat, UK)

Caravan, Canterbury Tales (Polydor)

Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells (Virgin)

King Crimson, Frame by Frame (Caroline)

Kraftwerk, Autobahn (Warner Brothers)

The Pretty Things, S.F. Sorrow (Edsel)

Jethro Tull, 20 Years of Jethro Tull: Highlights (Chrysalis)

Various Artists, ^Supernatural Fairy Tales: The Progressive Rock ra (Rhino)

I jethro tull ( :wub: ) i Genesis ed i King unici veri prog nella lista.. ah.. e gli Yes anche.. secondo me eh..

Poi, ognuno ha i suoi parametri di classificazione musicali.. Ma i Radiohead.. boh.. non li giudico assolutamente prog..

I Love.. i Beatles ( di Sgt Pepper's o Abbey road ) gli Emerson lake.. I Vdgg.. i Bauhaus.. i Gentle giant .. ecco.. loro si..

I LOVE?!?

I BEATLES?!?

I BAUHAUS?!?

mai stati così lontani dal prog, cara... almeno secondo me... ogniuno di loro ha dato il messimo nel proprio genere (pop e dark-wave) ma col progressive hanno ben poco... :)

Eccoti accontentato  ^_^

In questo lungo saggio trovate i riferimenti anche ai Radiohead ed ai Sigur Ròs, ma come vedrete l'autore ne prende subito le distanze.

Ahiahiahi...scorrendo la pagina in basso si sgama cosa ha letto Sere11!!!

Oppure può darsi che l'articolo sia il suo... :rolleyes:

Ahahahahah!!!

E' impressionante come li abbia menzionati (Love a parte) in ordine di apparizione sull'articolo!

Dai sere.. ;)

Se non sapete dare una definizione al genere Progressive Rock, qui di seguito incollo un bel saggio presente su Allmusic.com

in italiano non c'è?!

:(

Eccoti accontentato ^_^

In questo lungo saggio trovate i riferimenti anche ai Radiohead ed ai Sigur Ròs, ma come vedrete l'autore ne prende subito le distanze.

grazie!!!

questo è bellissimo:

- Un approccio strumentale tendenzialmente virtuosistico, con un rapporto quasi epico del musicista con il proprio strumento.

che vuol dire l'approccio epico?!?! bisogna vestirsi da cavaliere?! :lol:

Eccoti accontentato  ^_^

Ahahahahah!!!

E' impressionante come li abbia menzionati (Love a parte) in ordine di apparizione sull'articolo!

Dai sere.. ;)

:copula:

Eccoti accontentato  ^_^

Ahahahahah!!!

Dai sere.. ;)

:copula:

e chi non vorrebbe dai...

Eccoti accontentato  ^_^

Ahahahahah!!!

Dai sere.. ;)

Oh Attack.. tutto quello che conosco della musica prog proviene da un mio amico spezzino innamorato del genere..

Lui mi ha anche regalato il primo vinile dei jethro tull..

Tutti miei pareri provengono dalle sue illuminazioni convincenti..

Si può leggere tutto ed il contrario di tutto.. poi quello che condividi è un altro discorso.. no?

Eccoti accontentato  ^_^

Ahahahahah!!!

Dai sere.. ;)

Oh Attack.. tutto quello che conosco della musica prog proviene da un mio amico spezzino innamorato del genere..

Si può leggere tutto ed il contrario di tutto.. poi quello che condividi è un altro discorso.. no?

Ma certo!

Più che altro mi sembrava strano che si potessero definire in qualche maniera progressive i gruppi da te citati (parlo di beatles e Love)...poi apro quella pagina E CI SONO QUEI GRUPPI (ALBUM COMPRESI!!!) :D

Per poi inserirne altri che avevano un ordine accidentalmente identico a quello dell'articolo (comprendente i Bauhaus tra i Vdgg e i Gentle giant...Ho pensato che NESSUNO, dovendo stilare un'elenco di gruppi di un genere,affidandosi all'ordine cronologico, avrebbe messo i Bahuaus tra questi, essendo loro venuti dopo..).

Capito?

:bye:

Eccoti accontentato  ^_^

Ahahahahah!!!

Dai sere.. ;)

Il progressive è la musica che piace agli amanti del progressive

Ovviamente è un paradosso, ma ha un fondamento, visto che nel genere sono stati inseriti gruppi con ben poco in comune: basta citare i JETHRO TULL (rock-bues-folk con solo qualche classicismo qua e là) e gli EMERSON LAKE & PALMER (trio basso-tastiere-batteria, con enfasi sui synth)... difficile immaginare due gruppi più distanti come suono, eppure entrambi nel calderone Prog.

Oppure i MARILLION, gruppo con diversi hit single all'attivo e i MAGMA, ossia la cosa più ostica che potrete mai ascoltare: cos'hanno in comune? Semplicemente nulla.

Il progressive è la musica che piace agli amanti del progressive

quindi se a greenplastic piace il progressive siamo finiti....anche cristina d'avena è prog... :bye:

a me piaceva LA progressive, un genere in voga quando io facevo il dj. il periodo esatto era tra il 96 e il 97. per la precisione io amavo la dream progressive!