concerto in Israele

Deborah

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Deborah said:

ma nessuno è rimasto quantomeno perplesso, se non addirittura deluso, della decisione (ora che già molti hanno acquistato i biglietti per il tour 2017) di suonare a Tel Aviv?

io ho già il biglietto per Monza, ma penso sarà anche l'ultimo.

Nel senso che ti aspettavi boicottassero Israele?

21 minutes ago, Deborah said:

ma nessuno è rimasto quantomeno perplesso, se non addirittura deluso, della decisione (ora che già molti hanno acquistato i biglietti per il tour 2017) di suonare a Tel Aviv?

Io credo che la musica debba andare al di sopra di questo, e anzi essere un veicolo di atteggiamenti positivi e di occasioni di apertura ( Tralasciando il fatto che ci hanno già suonato in passato).

In ogni caso che pubblico pensi ci sarà a vedere un concerto dei Radiohead? Un pubblico di fanatici integralisti nazisti che predicano e agiscono per lo sterminio del popolo palestinese oppure un pubblico più aperto, colpevole solo di essere nato in Israele? Allo stesso modo non tutti gli americani sono per la conquista totale del mondo, per la tortura, per la guerra e posso continuare per molto altro tempo (motivo per cui sarebbe ingiusto non suonare in USA)

Questo discorso si estende poi (magari in misura minore, magari no) a tutti i paesi del mondo, visto che tutti i paesi in cui suonano i Radiohead (tranne poche eccezioni) fanno parte di un sistema che prevede guerra, sfruttamento, morte. Allora, che si fa? Non si suona in Italia perchè abbiamo la mafia, in Francia perchè si vendono armi a questo paese, etc etc.

Crederci migliori di Israele, noi che abbiamo stati che lo tollerano, lo appoggiano, ne traggono profitto, è la tipica scusa occidentale che serve a non prendersi mai le proprie responsabilità.

Saluti

Ps. Io odio quello che Israele ha fatto negli ultimi 100 anni eh, non fraintendermi. 

11 hours ago, Deborah said:

Cioè ti sei iscritta per dire questa cosa?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thom risponde: 

I'll be totally honest with you: this has been extremely upsetting. There's an awful lot of people who don't agree with the BDS movement, including us. I don't agree with the cultural ban at all, along with J.K. Rowling, Noam Chomsky and a long list of others.

There are people I admire [who have been critical of the concert] like [English film director] Ken Loach, who I would never dream of telling where to work or what to do or think. The kind of dialogue that they want to engage in is one that's black or white. I have a problem with that. It's deeply distressing that they choose to, rather than engage with us personally, throw shit at us in public. It's deeply disrespectful to assume that we're either being misinformed or that we're so retarded we can't make these decisions ourselves. I thought it was patronizing in the extreme. It's offensive and I just can't understand why going to play a rock show or going to lecture at a university [is a problem to them].

The university thing is more of a head fuck for me. It's like, really? You can't go talk to other people who want to learn stuff in another country? Really? The one place where you need to be free to express everything you possibly can. You want to tell these people you can't do that? And you think that's gonna help?

The person who knows most about these things is [Radiohead guitarist] Jonny [Greenwood]. He has both Palestinian and Israeli fans and a wife who's an Arab-Israeli. All these people to stand there at a distance throwing stuff at us, waving flags, saying, "You don’t know anything about it!" Imagine how offensive that is for Jonny. And imagine how upsetting that it's been to have this out there. Just to assume that we know nothing about this. Just to throw the word "apartheid" around and think that's enough. It's fucking weird. It's such an extraordinary waste of energy. Energy that could be used in a more positive way.

This is the first time I've said anything about it. Part of me wants to say nothing because anything I say cooks up a fire from embers. But at the same time, if you want me to be honest, yeah, it's really upsetting that artists I respect think we are not capable of making a moral decision ourselves after all these years. They talk down to us and I just find it mind-boggling that they think they have the right to do that. It's extraordinary. Imagine how this has affected me and Nigel’s relationship. Thanks, Roger. I mean, we're best mates for life, but it’s like, fuck me, really?

[Godrich responds: "I don't believe in cultural boycotts. I don't think they're positive, ever. And actually, I think that it's true to say that the people you'd be denying [the music] are the people who would agree with you and don't necessarily agree with their government. So it's not a good idea. Thom and Roger are two peas in a pod, really, in certain respects. They just have a disagreement about this, but they've never even met. I think Thom feels very protective of Jonny, which I completely get. But I'm not in the middle of Thom and Roger. Fucking hell, I wouldn't like to be in the middle of those two. No.]

All of this creates divisive energy. You're not bringing people together. You're not encouraging dialogue or a sense of understanding. Now if you're talking about trying to make things progress in any society, if you create division, what do you get? You get fucking Theresa May. You get [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu, you get fucking Trump. That's divisive.

Io sto al 100% con Thom. L'arte deve volare piu' alta. Vedi Paul Simon Graceland vs boicottaggio dell'apertheid nel 1986. Trent'anni dopo Paul Simon aveva pienamente ragione. 

Qui in California ho amici sia israeliani che palestinesi, ed entrambi concordano con questo.

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

su fb è un continuo commento vs thom sulla questione.<_<

pare che il problema sia che ha usato la parola "retard" che nn è certamente la piu' politically correct che poteva scegliere ma nel contesto in cui l'ha detta (cioe' riferita a se' stesso) nn mi sembra una cosa cosi tragica.

Seamus O'Brolchain, a member of the UK-based activist group Radiohead Fans for Palestine, said that Yorke seemed to be mistaken about the origins of the boycott call.

"Thom seems to think the call to boycott has come from people like [award-winning director] Ken Loach and Roger Waters, but that isn't true. The call has come from the Palestinian people who are living under apartheid - how can they talk down to a millionaire rock star?" O'Brolchain told Al Jazeera.

"Our fans campaign has tried to open a dialogue with the band, but they ignored us," O'Brolchain added. "Radiohead bassist] Colin Greenwood refused to accept our letters when they were presented to him. He didn't even want to read them. The band's publicists and agents haven't returned our calls."

"We made the mistake of thinking Radiohead were the kind of band who would be willing to have a dialogue with their fans."

In the interview, Yorke also lashed out at the academic boycott, saying of universities: "The one place where you need to be free to express everything you possibly can. You want to tell these people you can't do that?"

But according to Eskanda, Yorke's comments appear to be made without regard to the situation that the Palestinians live under: "While the Palestinian BDS movement endorses a free exchange of ideas, it is obvious that it has to be just that: free, which excludes situations of colonial oppression, apartheid and military occupation."

Speaking to Al Jazeera in response as to why Yorke "just can't understand why going to play a rock show [in Israel ... is a problem]", Eskanda quoted Enuga S. Reddy, who was director of the UN Centre Against Apartheid, and in 1984 spoke of "people who have performed in South Africa because of ignorance of the situation or the lure of money or unconcern over racism.

"They need to be persuaded to stop entertaining apartheid, to stop profiting from apartheid money and to stop serving the propaganda purposes of the apartheid regime," Reddy said.