Thom Yorke (feat. Flea) - Daily Battles

@li

Altra colonna sonora per Thom (e Flea)

https://pitchfork.com/news/new-thom-yorke-song-daily-battles-featured-in-edward-nortons-new-movie-motherless-brooklyn/?utm_medium=social&utm_brand=p4k&utm_source=facebook&mbid=social_facebook&utm_social-type=owned&fbclid=IwAR2sviSPyg8VyjqAvMnLBrKgVwFxpWXA88J4vq3Qs-zV78YMHgmls2ozcRA&fbclid=IwAR03e9BB8lnq_HTsUNIuCuijU3sfrDd0Y4p4gpWLu-_z5dhoZE-bzfHLL6I

“I wanted Thom to write an old-world melancholy ballad, and I wanted his voice to be the properties for [Norton’s character] Lionel’s voice,” Norton told RS. Yorke returned with his song “Daily Battles,” slated to appear in a jazz bar scene in the film. Norton then enlisted Wynton Marsalis to record a jazz arrangement of the song to better fit the scene. Both the Yorke and Marsalis versions will arrive digitally in the coming weeks. They will also be issued together on a split seven-inch vinyl.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/edward-norton-thom-yorke-motherless-brooklyn-daily-battles-863783/

“He sent me this track of him on a piano singing it and I was sitting on the edge of my bed in the dark, crying from listening to this song,” Norton said of his response. “It’s so instantly heartbreaking and evocative of so many of the themes to the movie without being overly specific to them, but so much so, I thought the idea of daily battles that everyone is fighting, that you’re trying to rise up and out of, was so evocative that I went back into the script and put the phrase into a scene.”

The song impacted Norton so much, it became a unifying theme in Motherless Brooklyn, featuring in a crucial scene where Norton’s Lionel and a character played by Gugu Mbatha-Raw go to a jazz club. To transform “Daily Battles” into “a ballad done by Miles Davis in ’57,” Norton enlisted jazz great Wynton Marsalis to record a jazz arrangement of the song.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norton elaborates, “People don’t really know this, but Flea went back to USC and got his masters on music theory on trumpet, and his dad was a jazz musician and he is a deep aficionado of jazz. So Flea came in and played the most beautiful, simple lines that add that dimension. And then Thom took some of them and reversed them and put them through compressors so that it’s playing backward and forward at the same time. It’s really beautiful.” Both the Yorke and Marsalis versions of “Daily Battles” will premiere at Rolling Stone in the coming weeks before being released together as a split 7″.

https://www.stereogum.com/2052877/thom-yorke-edward-norton-daily-battles-motherless-brooklyn-wynton-marsalis-flea/news/?fbclid=IwAR0rzkiOGgLW1XgXmDPtma_1vL7te501Hz4QNUXSTcwtpDQjybscwuhX1oo

The song is itself reminiscent of Radiohead’s non-LP piano ballads like “Last Flowers” and “I Want None of This,” and the softer half of slow burners like “The Daily Mail” and “You and Whose Army?”

“Daily Battles” is a stark contrast to Yorke’s usual electronics-and-beats-laden solo work, as evidenced recently by his third solo album Anima. “I’ve had it on loop. I don’t even remember where it starts and where it ends anymore,” the actor said of Yorke’s new LP. “If you close your eyes and put it on, you can think it’s a 10-hour record because it keeps going.”

“In my generation, no one has really captured longing in the heart and terror in the head like Thom,” adds Norton. “He has really grabbed the nerve of the fearfulness of the age that we’re living in and also figured how to create anthemic melody and total discord and chaos at the same time.”

41 minutes ago, @li said:

To transform “Daily Battles” into “a ballad done by Miles Davis in ’57,” Norton enlisted jazz great Wynton Marsalis to record a jazz arrangement of the song.

Insomma, qualcosa del genere

8 minutes ago, @li said:

The song is itself reminiscent of Radiohead’s non-LP piano ballads like “Last Flowers” and “I Want None of This,” and the softer half of slow burners like “The Daily Mail” and “You and Whose Army?”

L' importante è che non ci siano reminiscenze di Spectre :D 

Ma dai @Lacatus: due maroni con sta Spectre :PQuello era un arrangiamento da 007 per 007. Se volevano essere minimamente considerati per la OST nn potevano fare altrimenti. Esiste proprio un’estetica dei pezzi di Bond. 

A me leggendo la descrizione verrebbe da aspettarmi una Glasshouse.

12 hours ago, @li said:

Ma dai @Lacatus: due maroni con sta Spectre :PQuello era un arrangiamento da 007 per 007. Se volevano essere minimamente considerati per la OST nn potevano fare altrimenti. Esiste proprio un’estetica dei pezzi di Bond. 

Sì, ogni tanto però tocca ricordare Spectre Vessicchio :P

12 hours ago, @li said:

A me leggendo la descrizione verrebbe da aspettarmi una Glasshouse.

Sì, decisamente. Sebbene Glasshouse sia un New Orleans jazz, mentre qui si parla di Miles Davis del 1957, quindi più dalle parti del cool jazz anni '50, con un piglio leggermente diverso, sicuramente più raffinato. 

Date ascolto ad un pirla. L'arrangiamento sarà cool jazz magari con un ensemble da semi big band che suonerà però stile piccolo gruppo. 

Comunque se volevano trovare uno che fa arrangiamenti di quel tipo e perfetti, non potevano non chiamare Marsalis. 

Dalle descrizioni pare roba abbastanza diversa da Glasshouse, che era una citazione al dixielend americano degli albori del jazz

58 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

L'arrangiamento sarà cool jazz magari con un ensemble da semi big band che suonerà però stile piccolo gruppo. 

Una roba tipo la finto rock, la new wave, l'italiana il free jazz punk inglese dici?

:D

ahaha:P

più o meno. 

Non so, seriamente, sapendo che Marsalis è il direttore dell'accademia jazz at lincoln center e, estrapolando dalle parole di norton, mi immagino un arranagiamento per big band - quindi per orchestra jazz piu o meno completa, alla ellington - ma che suonerà all'orecchio come un gruppo "piccolo", come un quintetto, sestetto, quartetto ecc. 

Da un lato perchè se deve suonare come un Miles del 55/56/57..quelli erano gli anni del suo primo quintetto con Coltrane/Garland/Jones/Chambers e quindi penso a quel tipo di sound, abbastanza cool jazz

dall'altro perchè Marsalis ha fatto spesso arrnagiamenti per big band.

Ma è solo un azzardo mio. 

29 minutes ago, @li said:

uei grazie per la spiega. davvero ^_^

per il resto che fanz sono che fino a oggi ignoravo questo pezzo e soprattutto questa meravigliosa versione thom&gionni?

Questo capita quando non hai mai ascoltato in vita tua il miglior disco (cioé il numero 3, "The Foreign Legion: B-Sides 2001-2005") della miglior compilation sui RH in circolazione da sempre, cioé "Bittersweet Distractors" :laugh:

Detto questo, "Daily Battles" is coming, non vedo l'ora.