Jonny in concerto a Fermo 25/10

@li

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Setlist:

Daniel Pioro ha aperto suonando Bach davanti al bellissimo sipario dipinto chiuso.

Poi, tutti e 3 le miniature Water.

Poi Electric Counterpoint.

Intervallo 

House of Woodcock

Mulhy - Drones and Violin con Jonny alla chitarra.

Vocalise Etude - Messeien

Prospectors Arrive

Phantom Thread 2 

Luange a immortalitè de Jesus - Messeien

Loop For Fermo - 2019

Brividi e pelle d'oca

Gran bel concerto, atmosfera rilassata, pubblico caldo direi, al netto del genere di musica proposta. Il teatro mi è sembrato abbastanza pieno tutto sommato, anche se dal basso non riuscivo bene a vedere quanta gente c'era nei palchetti. 

Bellissimo il pezzo di Steve Reich, ma anche 88 fatta dalla pianista ha spaccato. Paradossalmente le cose che mi hanno emozionato di meno sono i brani delle colonne sonore, che con solo quattro strumenti perdono qualcosa. E quando Jonny prende l'ondes martenot io mi sciolgo. Jonny a fine concerto ha parlato in italiano per ringraziare tutti. Ho beccato un ragazzetto venuto apposta dall'Ucraina (!) 

Jonny sembrava molto contento. Dice di aver sbagliato qualcosa sul pezzo di Reich, ma non ho capito bene in che punto del brano. Conferma che nel 2020 farà un altro concerto dalle parti di Fermo, ma non posso dirvi di più sorry :)

1 hour ago, instant karma said:

Gran bel concerto, atmosfera rilassata, pubblico caldo direi, al netto del genere di musica proposta. Il teatro mi è sembrato abbastanza pieno tutto sommato, anche se dal basso non riuscivo bene a vedere quanta gente c'era nei palchetti. 

Bellissimo il pezzo di Steve Reich, ma anche 88 fatta dalla pianista ha spaccato. Paradossalmente le cose che mi hanno emozionato di meno sono i brani delle colonne sonore, che con solo quattro strumenti perdono qualcosa. E quando Jonny prende l'ondes martenot io mi sciolgo. Jonny a fine concerto ha parlato in italiano per ringraziare tutti. Ho beccato un ragazzetto venuto apposta dall'Ucraina (!) 

Jonny sembrava molto contento. Dice di aver sbagliato qualcosa sul pezzo di Reich, ma non ho capito bene in che punto del brano. Conferma che nel 2020 farà un altro concerto dalle parti di Fermo, ma non posso dirvi di più sorry :)

Così hai partecipato all'afterparty! 

È un peccato che non sono riuscito a vederti per un saluto. Veramente dopo il concerto nel gruppo che aspettava alla "stage door" credo di aver individuato l'Ucraino di cui parli, stava parlando con altri ed ha menzionato che aveva conosciuto un giornalista che aveva fatto un articolo su Jonny di recente. Comunque l'attesa (eravamo rimasti in 4 di numero) alla porta per Jonny non ha avuto esito perché (per quello che diceva uno del TAM) lo avevate stancato troppo nel afterparty e così è subito entrare in macchina con tutta la bella famiglia per andare via. 

Però devo dire che ero alla porta maggiormente per la compania del gruppetto perché Jonny lo avevo già salutato prima del concerto.

Per me i 2 pezzi suonati da Phantom Thread hanno significato molto, in particolare per me House of Woodcock anche se rearrangiata per pochi elementi ha funzionato ugualmente. Phantom Thread 2 e Prospectors Arrive sono state eseguite più o meno come da colonna sonora visto che sono state in ogni caso composte per pochi strumenti. Daniel ha aggiunto qualcosa di suo secondo me dappertutto, ma l'ho notato di più su Phantom Thread 2. Virtuosismo pazzesco.

Anch'io ho avuto l'impressione che il teatro era pressoché pieno. L'atmosfera era giusta. Lunga standing ovation a fine concerto che non ha generato un bis ma è stato comunque molto festoso. Poi la reazione del pubblico all'Italiano di Daniel e poi di Jonny è stato molto divertente. 

Se e quando potrai dire di più su futuri eventi in zona facci sapere per piacere.

Metto i link per 2 post su Instagram con le mie foto dell'altra sera. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4FdYpvIGL6/?igshid=1vby5jau1heq5

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4E04r8I1RX/?igshid=1ogm4nalh3svx

Ho anche gli audio per gli ultimi 5 pezzi suonati, ma non saprei come postarli. Se vi interessa e mi suggerite un metodo facile lo faccio pure.

Per chi interessa, riporto qui il mio racconto in Inglese della serata fatta su richiesta per un fan Francese che ho conosciuto a Macerata.

Ok so I arrived in Fermo at around 19.15 directly from work. I collected my ticket from the office and shortly after met up with someone in front of the theatre. While we were chatting I saw Jonny and family from the corner of my eye as they were greeting some acquaintances of theirs in the alley where the ticket office is. So of course we approached Jonny and he was gracious enough to greet us as well, we shook hands and I was able to give him a bottle of my favourite wine as a gift. I got a picture with him and an autograph. The evening was off to an excellent start. I then went to get a quick coffee and not long after they opened the doors so we could enter the foyer of the theatre. Inside I was able to meet and chat with Yasuko of the Japanese cover band OAS and another lady called Alison. Then when they let us inside the actual theatre we all split up based on where we were to be seated. I was 3rd row on the central aisle. The theatre is truely beautiful. I had seen it many times so I am accustomed to it but I am not sure I have ever seen it with the beautifully painted curtain down fully on display. It is very impressive and makes me proud to live in this area. The theatre filled up and I think the beauty of the theatre also has a positive effect on the feelings of everyone as we got closer to the start of the concert. When the lights went out, a voice first in Italian then in English explained the reason for holding this benefit concert and mentioned the rule for no photos or audio/video. Then Daniel Pioro walked out in front of the beautiful curtain with his violin and intensely played the Ciaccona movement from Bach's Partita n.2 in D minor. The piece is about 14 minutes long but he remained fully concentrated without once looking down at the music, it was very intense to hear such a long and beautiful violin solo in such a setting.

Daniel Pioro walked off stage, the curtain slowly came up so we could see the grand piano on the left a couple of chairs and music stands in the middle and Jonny's starcaster and Ondomo on the right. Then they all walked on with Jonny. I didn't notice but I was later told that Jonny took off his shoes when he sat on the floor to play the Tanpura for Three Miniatures from Water. It started with piano then violin then both the tanpura and the cello started to create the drone background. The drone noise continued even between one miniature and another, complimenting the music played over it. But then part way through the third miniature the drone sound drops out and the piano and violin music becomes crystal clear. This part was another 14 minutes long. There was a screen behind the players where the names of the pieces of music were projected, which made identifying them extra easy. Then the other musicians left the stage and Jonny picked up his guitar standing in front of his PC to play Electric Counterpoint, another 15 minutes of music. He played it perfectly and it definitely has a completely different effect hearing it live despite the fact that a lot of it is prerecorded. I have since been told that in the aftershow Jonny complained that he had made a mistake during this piece, but I think he was the only one to notice, for everyone else it went smoothly and was in perfect sync with the recordings. Then when Jonny left the stage the screen said "Intervallo" and the lights came back on for a few minutes. We had about 10 minutes in which I stood to stretch my legs and was able to start conversing about initial impressions on the first half. Only 3 pieces but very meaningfull, varied and long at a total of around 45 minutes....

The second half started with them walking back on stage but Daniel coming to the front to introduce the second half in Italian. His Italian was perfect, there were only a few hesitations. He said that the second half would be made up of shorter pieces by Jonny for film and other music which inspires Jonny. He said he was grateful to be able to play in such an amazing space. When he stepped back to get ready to start playing there was a thunderous applause for his efforts at speaking the language. They then played House of Woodcock which I had never thought was going to happen as it usually requires a full orchestra. Jonny had rearranged it for the trio, so it had a stripped-back feel to it but still fully rendered the beauty of the piece. Jonny stood to one side guitar in hand, listening intently while waiting to play too in the next piece Drones and Violin by Muhly. I had not heard this piece before and will need to listen to it again, but it used initially Jonny's guitar , Kat's piano and Giuseppe's cello to create a drone effect which Daniel played violin over. However later in the piece I seem to remember that the roles changed. I think that was the longest and most experimental sounding piece from the second half, though it fitted in very well. The next piece was Vocalise by Messiaen so it was one of two where Jonny played his Ondomo. If I understood Yasuku's explanation well she had contributed to the creation of the Ondomo ( based on the ondes martenot) by a Japanese artisan and Jonny now has 3 of her Ondomos. The "singing" of the Ondomo here was accompanied by Kat's piano.

On Vocalise I noticed that Jonny’s playing of the Ondomo seemed different to previous renditions, the notes were more distinct rather than the usual sliding from one to the next. I was later informed by someone who knows much more about such things that this is a sign that Jonny has been practicing as the over use of continuous glissandos is not as desireable nor as difficult to achieve than limiting glissandos to where they are needed for dramatic effect. Basically to make the notes distinct you must not just make the notes with one hand, but you must also change the volume of the note with the other hand.

In playing 88 Kat really showed her quality and passion. When Jonny plays the piano his posture makes his hair comes down over his face, but her hair is longer and perhaps less orderly than Jonny’s, so as the playing got more intense her hair was actually in contact with the piano keys and her fingers playing. I was a little worried that her hair could get painfully trapped between the keys. For the last and most intense section she wears gloves. Everyone I spoke with agreed that this performance was one of the highlights of the evening.

For Prospectors Arrive Jonny returned to playing the Ondomo, this time the sliding glissando effect was desired and evident as it usually is for this piece. This is the piece from There will be blood that I had expected would be played and I was not disappointed.

Then unexpectedly Jonny took Kat’s place at the grand piano to play Phantom Thread II with Daniel on Violin. This was the piece where I think Daniel’s virtuosity was most evident as he often added flourishes which were not present on the released score (unless Jonny revised the music himself for this occasion, but I don’t think so).

They then played Louange a l’Immortalité de Jesus by Messiaen with Jonny not participating in any way. I did not know this piece well but it is very evidently in the style of Messiaen. It is quite moving with the heartfelt musicality of the violin contrasting the repetitiveness of the piano part.

He spoke very briefly before playing the next piece, in Italian, firstly apologising for not speaking more and for his poor Italian (it’s not really so poor, he’s just too humble and shy), then saying how happy he was to be there and to live in this area, then he said that the next song was going to be the last piece for the evening.   

Jonny held back the “surprise” until the end. Though I suppose if he had really wanted it to be a surprise he could have asked his wife not to post the rehearsal the evening before on Twitter. Loop has always been my favourite unreleased piece by Jonny and the fact that the last time it was played was in 2015 together with the fact that it is composed for a larger ensemble of musicians than the only 4 present in Fermo made me think that hearing Loop was an impossible dream. But the impossible dream came true. Even better he seems to have revised the arrangement specifically for the Fermo show adapting it to the 4 players. The piano was never involved previously, but now it has a part and the strings are used differently for dramatic effect with their full partecipation only in the last part. He even renamed it “Loop for Fermo (2019)” for the occasion. At the end there was a long standing ovation, during which there was the usual parade and bows of the musicians, but it did not generate any encores, which I do not think were ever envisaged as the lights came fully on immediately after the last piece.

Those not invited to the afterparty went outside and I met up with 3 fellow fans I am in contact with from other parts of Italy and we were the last people still waiting near the stage door when the afterparty ended and Jonny and family came out. I was mainly hanging around for company in the group as I had already met with Jonny before the show. But one of the others waited all that time with the Junun and Phantom Thread LPs in her hand hoping for an autograph which didn’t happen as Jonny just got straight into his car to leave. One of the organisers told us that Jonny had been exasperated during the afterparty by people vying for his attention, making constant requests. He said Jonny had commented that he was doing a lot for the area but was always being asked for more. From my little experience, Jonny is always very kind and empathetic, willing to dedicate time to the fans so it was unusual that he had been annoyed to the point where he was not willing to stop to quickly greet a very small group of 4 fans. Of course we understood the situation, so we just went to get a glass of wine together in the town’s main piazza, chatting together about the beautiful evening we had just experienced, before I headed home and the others went to their hotel rooms.

2 hours ago, echoes said:

Tanta invidia per Jonny che può trasferirsi in un posto come Fermo.

In realtà Le Marche offrono moltissimo pure a noi comuni mortali. Da lavorare c'è per tutti e la qualità della vita è alta. Anche durante il tragitto tra casa e lavoro (15km in 15 minuti) sono sempre circondato dalla bellezza del mare, delle colline, i vigneti, i paesetti medievali. 

Tanti di miei amici provengono da altri parti d'Italia e si sono trovati benissimo qui. 

On 10/26/2019 at 11:56 AM, Billy Beach said:

Così hai partecipato all'afterparty! 

È un peccato che non sono riuscito a vederti per un saluto. Veramente dopo il concerto nel gruppo che aspettava alla "stage door" credo di aver individuato l'Ucraino di cui parli, stava parlando con altri ed ha menzionato che aveva conosciuto un giornalista che aveva fatto un articolo su Jonny di recente. Comunque l'attesa (eravamo rimasti in 4 di numero) alla porta per Jonny non ha avuto esito perché (per quello che diceva uno del TAM) lo avevate stancato troppo nel afterparty e così è subito entrare in macchina con tutta la bella famiglia per andare via. 

Però devo dire che ero alla porta maggiormente per la compania del gruppetto perché Jonny lo avevo già salutato prima del concerto.

Per me i 2 pezzi suonati da Phantom Thread hanno significato molto, in particolare per me House of Woodcock anche se rearrangiata per pochi elementi ha funzionato ugualmente. Phantom Thread 2 e Prospectors Arrive sono state eseguite più o meno come da colonna sonora visto che sono state in ogni caso composte per pochi strumenti. Daniel ha aggiunto qualcosa di suo secondo me dappertutto, ma l'ho notato di più su Phantom Thread 2. Virtuosismo pazzesco.

Anch'io ho avuto l'impressione che il teatro era pressoché pieno. L'atmosfera era giusta. Lunga standing ovation a fine concerto che non ha generato un bis ma è stato comunque molto festoso. Poi la reazione del pubblico all'Italiano di Daniel e poi di Jonny è stato molto divertente. 

Se e quando potrai dire di più su futuri eventi in zona facci sapere per piacere.

ciao Billy, cavolo sì peccato che non ci siamo incrociati! Comunque cercherò di tornare nel 2020 per il prossimo concerto, magari ci vediamo la prossima volta!

Sì sono entrato all'aftershow, è stato un rinfresco abbastanza breve. Jonny gentilissimo, cordiale e veramente educato. Ci ho chiacchierato cinque minuti, non di più, perché era comunque preso d'assalto dalle persone presenti. Però sembra veramente legato a Fermo e alle persone del posto. È stata una bella esperienza, per me è stato surreale vedere Jonny in un contesto del genere, ma surreale nel senso buono! Alla prossima

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Lacatus said:

Ce l'hai fatta alla fine? 

Ecco un video 

Non avrebbe avuto senso partire. È iniziato più o meno nel momento in cui ne sono venuto a conoscenza. Il pezzo che ha suonato Jonny è stato all'inizio dell'evento. E credo che in toto l'evento è stato breve, probabilmente meno di un ora. 

Partendo da casa alle 18.30 arrivavo ad Amandola alle 19.45 circa, a cose fatte. Se ero fortunato riuscivo ad incontrare Jonny a passeggio per Amandola, se non è partito subito dopo. Ma senza garanzie. Ed in ogni caso non faccio un ora di strada solo per fare il stalker.

Sarà per un altra volta.