Scatterbrain intervista Stanley Donwood [Domande & Risposte]

frasky

Mail inviata! :rolleyes: Ho cercato di tradurre al meglio tutte le vostre domande ;) 

Da stasera fino a martedì forse non sarò molto presente, ma ogni tanto butterò un occhio alla casella di posta :D 

Intanto grazie a tutti per aver partecipato, ora non ci resta che aspettare..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, frasky said:

Mail inviata! :rolleyes: Ho cercato di tradurre al meglio tutte le vostre domande ;) 

Da stasera fino a martedì forse non sarò molto presente, ma ogni tanto butterò un occhio alla casella di posta :D 

Intanto grazie a tutti per aver partecipato, ora non ci resta che aspettare..

Alla fine quali sono state le domande?

44 minutes ago, Lacatus said:

Alla fine quali sono state le domande?

Tutte quelle proposte in questo thread :)

(Spero sia scritto in un inglese decente :D)

Hello Stanley
Sorry for the delayed response...we took our time to agree the content of this e-mail. 

So, here they are: 

User 'On A Friday' asks: What's the story behind the "Holloway" series? What do they mean?

User 'Lacatus' asks: Can you give us a little background about the artwork you did for Tomorrow's Modern Boxes? Obelisks, dry sand landscapes etc. etc. 

Also from her: Since Ok Computer, no photo of the band appears in the artwork: is this a deliberate choice or simply fortuity? Is this the reason why the portraits you did around the "King Of Limbs" period were "discarded"? 

This is mine: Why did you abandoned the ziggurat-like, beautifully mazy, old-style websites? When oknotok.com appeared, it was simply amazing to get lost in it! Do you (or the band) think this kind of website is now extinct in our modern social-network-based internet? 

The last one is, according to the asker 'notlivingjustkillingtime', a very academic question: How do you think art and "net-art" will evolve in the future? 

The Scatterbrain community is very thankful to you for this opportunity. We hope to have you back in Italy with an exposition soon :)

24 minutes ago, frasky said:
Tutte quelle proposte in questo thread :)

(Spero sia scritto in un inglese decente :D)

Hello Stanley
Sorry for the delayed response...we took our time to agree the content of this e-mail. 

So, here they are: 

User 'On A Friday' asks: What's the story behind the "Holloway" series? What do they mean?

User 'Lacatus' asks: Can you give us a little background about the artwork you did for Tomorrow's Modern Boxes? Obelisks, dry sand landscapes etc. etc. 

Also from her: Since Ok Computer, no photo of the band appears in the artwork: is this a deliberate choice or simply fortuity? Is this the reason why the portraits you did around the "King Of Limbs" period were "discarded"? 

This is mine: Why did you abandoned the ziggurat-like, beautifully mazy, old-style websites? When oknotok.com appeared, it was simply amazing to get lost in it! Do you (or the band) think this kind of website is now extinct in our modern social-network-based internet? 

The last one is, according to the asker 'notlivingjustkillingtime', a very academic question: How do you think art and "net-art" will evolve in the future? 

The Scatterbrain community is very thankful to you for this opportunity. We hope to have you back in Italy with an exposition soon :)

Dai bello. Le domande sono nel numero giusto e tutte interessanti :) Speriamo risponda presto!

(ha ha I'm just going through my emails since august. some very delayed responses from me! anyway...)

What's the story behind the "Holloway" series? What do they mean?

hmm. its a long story, so ill be as brief as i can; in the 1940s geoffrey household wrote a book called 'rogue male' that was about someone who tries to assassinate hitler. he fails, gets caught, escapes, and is pursued across europe then london then down to dorset in the south of england. he hides in a holloway, which is a deep tunnel-like trackway sunk into the earth and concealed by trees. in the book, household ascribes this holloway so specifically that a write called roger deakin located it, and went to explore it with yet another writer, robert macfarlane.
after deakins death, macfarlane, me, and a fourth [!] write called dan richards went back to the holloway, slept there for a rainy night and decided to make a little self-published book about it. i did the pictures. and i liked drawing them so much i kept drawing hollow ways long after the book had been published.

@Lacatus 
Can you give us a little background about the artwork you did for Tomorrow's Modern Boxes? Obelisks, dry sand landscapes etc. etc

those pictures are part of a much larger body of work called 'modern land'. they are pictures of a landscape where everything living has been killed and there is nothing but shadows. it is a land from which everything has been comprehensively harvested, a denuded and scalped land that is an end time after humans have finished with it. its an ongoing project that I've been working on intermittently since about 2013. i don't know when or if i will ever finish it. i think it will probably be the least popular thing ill make.

Why did you abandoned the ziggurat-like, beautifully mazy, old-style websites? When oknotok.com appeared, it was simply amazing to get lost in it! Do you (or the band) think this kind of website is now extinct in our modern social-network-based internet?

good question. I'm not sure if that kind of website is extinct or merely irrelevant. when i started making websites [in 1994] the internet was very new and there was no set way of doing anything. so really i just made up the radiohead website as i went along, adding material as i made it or found it or was given it by the band. in those days there was no online audio or video, no youtube or social networks or anything like that; just very basic html, which i learnt how to write. the web has become some much bigger and i have long lost the desire to keep up with coding languages. really, the internet is transformed and i no longer find it as exciting as i used to; not as a creative medium. thats not to say that is not a creative medium because it is, its just that i can't be fucked to do it. so now the main radiohead website is hopefully more 'useful' than it was... but yeah, i kind of miss the old random sites too. they're still there, in the memory hole...

@notlivingjustkillingtime 
How do you think art and "net-art" will evolve in the future?

the problem for me 'these days' [ie., now that I'm quite old] is that the ephemeral nature of net art, combined with my lack of human memory doesn't really work, as such. art seen fleetingly on a screen doesn't make much of an impression on me; i need to look at something for a while, and i don't much like staring at a glowing rectangle of coloured light. so more and more i like physical objects and actual pictures. i don't know how typical this is, or whether its relevant. and i don't have a good answer to the question either. perhaps net-art will evolve into new forms as technology becomes ever more enmeshed with biology, and art will be the equivalent of vinyl records. or whether our civilisation will strangle itself with pollution and violence and the only 'art' left will be blood spattered on the walls of torture chambers.

@@li What happened to these paintings? 

the first one i did years and years ago in about 1993 when i was on the dole in plymouth, before i had children. it was a picture of a vision from a dream. it was done with really cheap chinese paints from a junk shop, never finished and its actually now hanging on the wall in my studio...

the other one: wow, id forgotten about that amazing painting spot! that was at the beginning of the recording of what became the king of limbs [i think!] at drew barrymores house in los angeles. the painting i was working on in that photo ended up shit so i painted over it. i can't remember what i did with the canvas in the end. the other ainting i never finished, but i think i used a photo of it in the king of limbs newspaper...

Stan 

Questo è tutto! Grazie a tutti per aver partecipato, e via con i commenti :D

36 minutes ago, @li said:

MA CHE FIGATA!!!! Frasky idolo (e grandissimo Stan!) :mitico::clapclap::pollice:

comunque secondo me gli son piaciute le domande. Che dite? ^_^

Sì! E bellissime anche le risposte!

Quindi il ciclo di Tomorrow's Modern Boxes non è ancora stato completato... Sorge subito spontanea un'altra domanda: lo riprenderà per il prossimo progetto solista di Thom? (Come ha ripreso l'artwork di The Eraser per Amok?).

Non avrei mai detto che l'immagine che è ora il mio avatar è un quadro del 1993 :o e nemmeno che i dipinti della foto con Colin risalgono all'inverno 2010, l'inizio di The King Of Limbs. Quello di sinistra è nella newspaper edition di TKOL: è quello con gli alberi bianchi su fondo giallo e rosso (si vede anche in questa foto (già completato) in basso in fondo proprio dietro Thom):

In-the-Shed1.jpg

P.s. questo topic andrebbe pinnato, secondo me: a parte l'incontro con Stanley a Roma nel 2010 (del quale dovrebbe esistere un video in cui lo "intervistiamo" di persona) è la prima volta che Scatterbrain intervista ufficialmente un membro dei Radiohead :fico:

P.p.s. ah dimenticavo nel 2006/2007 avevo contattato Plank via email e mi aveva risposto...ma niente di particolare, domande tecniche sugli strumenti che ci servirono per completare la sezione strumenti di idioteque.it (ormai obsoleta visto che c'è thekingofgear.com)

2 minutes ago, Lacatus said:

Non avrei mai detto che l'immagine che è ora il mio avatar è un quadro del 1993 :o e nemmeno che i dipinti della foto con Colin risalgono all'inverno 2010, l'inizio di The King Of Limbs. Quello di sinistra è nella newspaper edition di TKOL: è quello con gli alberi bianchi su fondo giallo e rosso. 

in effetti quella è stata la risposta piu' sorprendente. 93 ma ci rendiamo conto? un'era geologica fa (a me nn è mai piaciuto e mi è sempre sembrata una cosa un po' grezza devo dire...)... e quella che avevamo scambiato per la toscana è la california di Drew Barrymore... ma pensa te :)

Just now, @li said:

in effetti quella è stata la risposta piu' sorprendente. 93 ma ci rendiamo conto? un'era geologica fa (a me nn è mai piaciuto ma mi è sempre sembrata una cosa un po' grezza devo dire...)... e quella che avevamo scambiato per la toscana è la california di Drew Barrymore... ma pensa te :)

:lol: Vero, quante pippe! :lol: 

:clapclap::clapclap::clapclap:

Tutto estremamente interessante, ma una parte ha catturato totalmente la mia attenzione:

"those pictures are part of a much larger body of work called 'modern land'. they are pictures of a landscape where everything living has been killed and there is nothing but shadows. it is a land from which everything has been comprehensively harvested, a denuded and scalped land that is an end time after humans have finished with it"

:bava::bava::bava:

Speriamo che in futuro lo riprenda

3 minutes ago, On a Friday said:

:clapclap::clapclap::clapclap:

Tutto estremamente interessante, ma una parte ha catturato totalmente la mia attenzione:

"those pictures are part of a much larger body of work called 'modern land'. they are pictures of a landscape where everything living has been killed and there is nothing but shadows. it is a land from which everything has been comprehensively harvested, a denuded and scalped land that is an end time after humans have finished with it"

:bava::bava::bava:

Speriamo che in futuro lo riprenda

Thom Lp3 HYPE :dance:

I complimenti a tutti noi per la qualità delle domande e delle risposte, ma soprattutto a frasky per l'iniziativa! 

Nella ricerca non più dell'effimero ma del concreto anche lui in qualche modo si collega al discorso della band del "classicizzarsi", dalle sue parole colgo anche un "lasciare il testimone" alle nuove generazioni per quanto riguarda le espressioni sul medium digitale. 

Ma l'ultima parte della risposta alla mia domanda è molto molto inquietante. Lascia aperti spiragli di strabordamenti di significato. In fondo per un artista è impossibile per definizione non essere inquieti... :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, @li said:

MA CHE FIGATA!!!! Frasky idolo (e grandissimo Stan!) :mitico::clapclap::pollice:

comunque secondo me gli son piaciute le domande. Che dite? ^_^

Sì anche secondo me! Stanley numero uno :). Che disponibilità! 

3 hours ago, Lacatus said:

Sì! E bellissime anche le risposte!

Quindi il ciclo di Tomorrow's Modern Boxes non è ancora stato completato... Sorge subito spontanea un'altra domanda: lo riprenderà per il prossimo progetto solista di Thom? (Come ha ripreso l'artwork di The Eraser per Amok?).

Non avrei mai detto che l'immagine che è ora il mio avatar è un quadro del 1993 :o e nemmeno che i dipinti della foto con Colin risalgono all'inverno 2010, l'inizio di The King Of Limbs. Quello di sinistra è nella newspaper edition di TKOL: è quello con gli alberi bianchi su fondo giallo e rosso (si vede anche in questa foto (già completato) in basso in fondo proprio dietro Thom):

In-the-Shed1.jpg

P.s. questo topic andrebbe pinnato, secondo me: a parte l'incontro con Stanley a Roma nel 2010 (del quale dovrebbe esistere un video in cui lo "intervistiamo" di persona) è la prima volta che Scatterbrain intervista ufficialmente un membro dei Radiohead :fico:

P.p.s. ah dimenticavo nel 2006/2007 avevo contattato Plank via email e mi aveva risposto...ma niente di particolare, domande tecniche sugli strumenti che ci servirono per completare la sezione strumenti di idioteque.it (ormai obsoleta visto che c'è thekingofgear.com)

Sì due colpi di scena su due per quanto riguarda le immagini che gli abbiamo linkato. 

Magari hai ragione dovrei pinnarlo, alla fine credo interessi :)

3 hours ago, @li said:

@max [idioteque.it] visto che è una cosa in "esclusiva" per Scatterbrain nn sarebbe bello metterla un po' in evidenza in qualche modo (FB o nn so...)?

@frasky ma una stampina in omaggio anche solo per lo sforzo di traduzione/divulgativo te la sei fatta mandare vero ^_^ ?

Ahaha nessuna stampa, è stato un piacere, spero solo di avere altre occasioni per proseguire la corrispondenza virtuale ;)

3 hours ago, Beat said:

ottimo lavoro frasky! Molto interessanti le risposte di Stanley, e grandissimo che ha risposto dopo neanche 24 ore :prego:

Grazie mille :) a te e a tutti gli altri che mi hanno citato ahah 

Non nascondo di esserci rimasto male nel leggere la sua considerazione sul poco apprezzamento della serie "modern Land". È incredibilmente suggestiva! Ma d'altronde un po' sta cosa si percepiva..

• frasky pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

anch'io al solio a scoppio ritardato mi aggiungo ai complimenti ... Grande @frasky !!
Belle le risposte di Stanley, fa piacere sapere qualcosa in piu', direttamente da lui, sui suio lavori etc. Condivido pienamente (ie, I am quite old too) la risposta di Stanley alla domanda sulla net-art