The Power of the Dog

Billy Beach

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Lacatus said:

Ottima notizia! Quindi sentiremo già qualcosa questo autunno?

La data d'uscita del film non è chiaro, solo che sarà presentata nei festival a Venezia e New York tra Settembre ed Ottobre. Poi non scordiamoci di Spencer che sarà presentata sempre a Venezia.

• 5 weeks later...

Intervista a Jonny su NME: 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/jonny-greenwood-spencer-soundtrack-interview-radiohead-new-album-the-smile-3036092

C'è anche una gustosa anticipazione di quanto sentiremo nella colonna sonora di The Power Of The Dog:

I’ve just done another film, Power Of The Dog, with Jane Campion. I was seriously trying to make out that the banjo could be used as a contemporary classical instrument over atonal strings. You’ll be unsurprised to learn it doesn’t work. The banjo can be dark and sinister, so that worked. But, as soon as you try to treat it like something you can play along with, it just sounds comic. That was pretty terrible. To get out of that dead end, I started playing the cello like a banjo, which seems to suit the film."

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Billy Beach said:

Il film si trova per intero leakato online in HD.

Molto interessante questo potpourri. 

Si conferma l'uso massiccio di violoncelli e contrabbassi che ha caratterizzato la produzione greenwoodiana da Bodysong fino a Daydreaming, passando per There WIll Be Blood. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://pitchfork.com/news/radiohead-jonny-greenwood-shares-new-songs-from-the-power-of-the-dog-soundtrack-listen/?utm_brand=p4k&utm_source=facebook&utm_social-type=owned&mbid=social_facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3SfC3CqE5VmKqO7yUJIBRCkjusNx_LWO0vWGWHqALJlVdpSD1qYzbRfDQ

quindi to sum up:

5 Novembre Amnesiac

12 Novembre Spencer

17 Novembre The Power of the Dog

Non si puo' dire che jonny stia cazzeggiando...

(che bello se escono tutti i progetti solisti, speriamo anche gli Smile, poi dovrebbe finalmente esserci campo libero per la band)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lacatus said:

Un'altra colonna sonora sopraffina :clapclap:

C'è davvero l'imbarazzo della scelta, dai due estratti 25 Years e West (quest'ultima anche in versione West Alone, con un soffice pianoforte in primo piano) fino a pezzi d'avanguardia come Detuned Mechanical Piano o Paper Flowers.

non vedo l'ora di spararmela.

Comunque quanto è diventato bravo? Incredibile. Già lo pensai ascoltando anche solo certi pezzi per piano di Phantom Thread. 

1 hour ago, Lacatus said:

Super. In particolare questi passaggi

There are four key characters here: Phil, his brother George, Rose and her son Peter. Did each need his/her own sound or motif? They’re all such different personalities.

I’ve never really consciously thought of scores like this. Rather, I write to the situations, or tone of the film, or the look and color of it. I guess the detuned piano material fitted Rose so well that it became a kind of theme… but only by accident.

(ah quindi il leitmotiv della colonna sonora di Spencer non è voluto...)

This is a Western, yet you didn’t opt for a big “Western” score? Why?

I wanted to avoid the trope of sweeping strings to accompanying sweeping landscapes. When Peter does venture into the mountains and desert, it’s an alien, forbidding landscape. It’s funny, I was more inspired by the ’60s “Star Trek” scenes which, in my memory at least, had lots of atonal brass. So I hired a couple of French horn players and wrote some duets for them. That was a really fun day – we recorded them in a big church in Oxford, with the intention that reverb in the church would be the third instrument.

(carina la cosa sul riverbero, ma solo per il fatto che una volta usai anche io questo trucchetto. ovviamente peggio di lui!)

Tell me about the “mechanical piano” – did you actually have one? (I can never tell what’s real or sampled these days.)

I have a pianola. It’s real and mechanical, but computer-controlled. So I wrote some software in Max/MSP to emulate the paper-roll that would normally drive one of these. It made more sense than trying to use notation. I also have a tuning wrench, so you can slide the pitch of the notes whilst it’s playing. This became really useful for the character of Rose: Not only is her story wrapped up in the instrument, but it was also a good texture for her gradual mental unraveling. I recorded hours of this stuff – poor Jane had to hear quite a lot of it.

(Come aphex twin in controlled acoustic instruments part 2

35 minutes ago, Lacatus said:

Oggi sono stati pubblicati altri brani della colonna sonora, non presenti nella playlist pubblicata ieri, tipo questo incentrato sul violino e il pianoforte veramente ipnotico (echi di Debussy @Wanderer )

Oltre alle 16 tracce del tracklist ufficiale e Psalm 22, ci sono anche altri?