Le migliori versioni live

Fake Plastic Man

Nella prospettiva di fare una raccolta delle migliori versioni live delle loro canzoni, stavo scaricando tutti i bootlegs possibili, ma poi mi sono detto: ma chi me lo fa fare!

Quindi chiedo a voi, che di Bootlegs ne avete fin sotto il soffitto della vostra stanza, quali sono le versioni che, per qualità del suono e per interpretazone, posso scaricare?

Permetto che già ho Up On The Ladders, Big Ideas e Big Boots di Salamanca che sono eccezzionali.

Inoltre vorrei che mi indicaste qualche link dove scaricare programmi con il quale posso tagliare, incollare, editare i pezzi.

non fare nessun raccoltone và...lasciali stare i raccoltoni, scaricati il live all' EARLS COURT LONDON 27.11.03.

E' fantastico. Uno dei migliori di sempre.

p.s. tra l'altro sei già partito male...infatti ci sono in giro alcune bigboots e alcune bigideas migliori di quelle di salamnca...dove furono improvvisate e quindi i pezzi non suonano al loro massimo...

• 7 years later...

ritornando al tema, su Atease l'utente Vice President Cheney si è scatenato postando quest'artcolo in vari posts, che vi riproduco intero.

è molto interessante:

The definitive performances

Before we start let me state my rationale & standard prejudices: first and foremost, I’m a big believer in the principle that, absent a significant reworking or rearrangement that gives a song new life (see: the Grateful Dead) that most live performances are better and more energetic in the eras they originally hail from. This is my big problem with a lot of the selections on the “Live Hub Collection,” for those who are familiar with the Hub and that (still pretty cool) set: it includes a lot of (IMO) shitty-sounding, shittily-played late-period renditions of earlier (Bends & OKC) classics. Nothing like listening to RH butcher “My Iron Lung” and “Just” from 2003 to make you wonder whether it’s time for them to just retire the damn things if they’re so tired of playing them.

Secondly, I’m a big believer in sound quality. There are some great performances out there that just aren’t top-shelf in terms of the actual audio, so when it came to making tough choices I've favored the best-quality sound unless the quality of a live version was just impossible to ignore. Unless it’s a TRULY epochal performance (or an utterly fantastic AUD), my general inclination for this list is to have mercy on the ears of noob fans and privilege a very good SBD/official-sound performance over a great, but dodgy-sounding, one. Hence you’ll see several parenthetical remarks pointing out that some of these are officially available (usually as B-sides, sometimes as EP tracks) or suggesting the place to go find the best-sounding version.

In the case of songs that have been done in special acoustic or partial-acoustic arrangements, I’ve included those as well as my favorite “standard” versions.

Cheers, and I look forward to agreements OR disagreements. More coming soon!

Part 1: The Pablo Honey Era

Pre-Pablo Honey:

- Phillipa Chicken – 11/91 Oxford – hey, stupid name aside, this is a good song!.

- Nothing Touches Me – 6/13/92 BBC ‘Evening Session’ – I fucking love this early ‘lost’ song and the band were fools for dropping it in favor of crap like “Vegetable” and “I Can’t.”

- Stupid Car – 2/9/93 Signal Radio – the only known live performance, but thankfully a good one.

- Thinking About You (electric version) – 11/91 Oxford – only known live performance, scratchy but listenable AUD.

Pablo Honey:

- You – 11/94 MTV & 6/30/93 Chicago – the former is a great Thom & Jonny version done for MTV (maybe my favorite performance), the latter is the opener to the famous Metro show and was released on Itch EP.

- Creep – 12/1/95 Gino – Good luck picking the best version of a song they performed about two billion times! Still, I think this just might be it, and the best- sounding version of this performance is found as an extra track on FLAC versions of the 7/16/96 “T in the Park” show on the Hub.

- How Do You? – 11/11/92 Huddersfield Polytechnic – a fun, punky thrash.

- Stop Whispering – 7/2/94 Roskilde Festival – a lot of quality performances floating around out there, but this one has vocal energy and some really imaginative decorative guitar in the verses. Also, they tended to slow it down to a fucking crawl in later live versions.

- Thinking About You – 6/24/97 Utrecht – I love this song and I’ve never heard a better or better-sounding live rendition than this one.

- Anyone Can Play Guitar – 3/24/95 Kentish Town Forum – B-side of “Just” CD2.

- Ripcord – 3/14/93 Town & Country Club & 2/9/93 Signal Radio – the former was officially released as the B-side of “Creep” CD2, the latter is an awesome triple-guitar acoustic version.

- Vegetable – 5/24/94 Astoria – eh, it’s good enough, I suppose. One of my least favorite RH songs…boring boring boring.

- Prove Yourself – 6/6/95 RPM Club/Warehouse – another PH song I really dislike, but this is a great version.

- I Can’t – 6/13/92 BBC ‘Evening Session’ – only a couple live-for-an-audience versions even exist, the best being a SBD from an unknown date in early 1992.

- Lurgee – 2/23/93 Paris “Black Session” – lot of great versions of this out there, this one’s still my favorite though.

- Blow Out – 3/22/96 CBC Real Time & 11/11/92 Huddersfield – the first-named is the well-known acoustic radio session with the Posies’ drummer, the second is a bit sped-up but still my favorite band version.

B-sides, Rarities & Early Versions

- Inside My Head – 6/30/93 Chicago – A towering, screaming playthough. Released as a B-side on the “Creep” CD2.

- Million Dollar Question – 6/4/93 Goteborg – although 11/11/92 Huddersfield is also ace.

- Faithless, The Wonder Boy – 6/27/95 Xanadu – For a song that sucked in the studio the band really managed to rock out on this one live. There are a couple SBD versions available, but this — the final performance — is still the greatest and well worth hearing. Radiohead as Oasis!.

- Pop Is Dead – 5/24/94 Astoria – if you must own a live version of this piece of shit, try this one.

- Killer Cars (acoustic) – 9/19/00 Nijmegen – Not the famous 6/30/93 Chicago one from the “Pop Is Dead” single & Itch EP, but actually *better*…pure magic

- Yes I Am – 9/3/93 Barrowlands – the only full-band SBD we have of it.

- BananaCo. – 6/30/93 Chicago – released on the NME Brat Pack compilation.

- Rhinestone Cowboy – 2/23/93 Paris “Black Session” – believe it or not they played this a lot, goofy as it is…but this is the famous one and still the best.

- The Bends (early version) – 6/4/93 Goteborg – Almost as old as the Pablo Honey material, early versions sounded substantially different with Thom on acoustic singing different lyrics; here’s the best version I know.

- (nice dream) (early version) – 2/9/93 Signal Radio & 12/9/93 Brixton Academy – the Signal Radio one is the acoustic debut, but Brixton is the best early full-band version — with VERY different lyrics & approach than the final version.

- Permanent Daylight (early version) – 6/4/93 Magasinet – there are a lot of good early versions out there, when it was a brusque instrumental, but this SBD is the best.

Part 2: The Bends Era

The My Iron Lung EP & Early B-sides:

- The Trickster – 4/18/98 Radio City Music Hall – a lot of good performances from the later legs of the OKC tour, but this one’s the killer.

- Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong – 12/2/94 Melkweg – found on the High & Dry Live EP, a masterpiece. The final performance from 6/13/95 Denver is also great, albeit AUD…complete with snarky remarks to the audience in between verses.

- Permanent Daylight – 10/2/00 Warrington – probably the most famous version, and who am I to argue with the gorgeous SBD quality and sharp performance?.

- Lozenge Of Love – 3/24/95 Kentish Town Forum – really wish they’d done this one more live. A bit scratchy-sounding but an FM broadcast.

- Killer Cars (band version) – 9/30/94 Sheffield – one of only two electric versions I know, and the only fully developed one.

- Maquiladora – 6/26/94 Glastonbury – less well-known than the Astoria version but twice as nasty — the guitars sound like they’re ripping your guts out.

- How Can You Be Sure? – 2/9/93 Signal Radio & 6/27/95 Xanadu – only two known performances of this song and here they both are; the first is all-acoustic and the second is a note-perfect full-band rendition with Ed singing backup. A absolute must-have.

The Bends:

- Planet Telex – 3/24/95 Kentish Town Forum & 6/24/97 Utrecht – Very hard to pick a definitive version since this one always destroyed live, but here are two that stand out. The 3/24/95 version can be found on the B-side of the “Just” CD2.

- The Bends – 5/24/94 Astoria & 6/24/97 Utrecht – I always prefer early versions of “The Bends” because they have Ed’s King Crimsonesque counterpoint on the second “lying in the bar” verse…a key variation that makes a lot of difference. 6/24/97 Utrecht is the angriest “final” version I’ve ever heard.

- High & Dry – 4/13/96 Boston – it’s hard to find a performance where either Thom or Jonny isn’t just fucking off (they clearly feel free to take liberties because they consider it a “useless pop song”) but this one actually comes off wonderfully with a great vocal and a thrashed out guitar solo.

- Fake Plastic Trees – 11/6/95 Cambridge – incredible SBD performance of a song that could sometimes be dodgy live…I like early ’95 versions because they have the organ on the “wears me out” lines a la the studio cut, but this is really definitive.

- Bones – 3/24/95 Kentish Town Forum – find it on the B-side of the “Just” CD2.

- (nice dream) – 5/27/96 Pinkpop – lots of great versions of this one floating around, but this one has the soothing organ line high in the mix.

- Just – 6/27/97 Glastonbury – this show is generally overrated but Jonny’s guitar solo on “Just” rips the auricles off your ears.

- My Iron Lung – 6/24/97 Utrecht – never bettered; my favorite performance of a song I never get tired of hearing.

- Bulletproof…I Wish I Was – 7/16/96 “T in the Park” – the interlocking ghostly counterpoint of the guitars comes out gloriously in this version.

- Black Star – 12/1/95 Stockholm – One of my favorite songs, this is my all-time favorite version. The copy found bundled with FLAC versions of the 7/16/96 ‘T in the Park’ show is the best, clearest one, incidentally.

- Sulk – 2/21/94 Royal Berks Social Club – slim pickings on this one; this early version has the best sound, but the 12/2/94 AUD from Melkweg is a great performance as well.

- Street Spirit (Fade Out) – 2/16/95 Eve’s Club – One of their most-performed songs and they all more or less sound the same…I like this early acoustic one from the B-side of the “Fake Plastic Trees” CD2 a lot though.

Later B-sides, Rarities, Lost Tracks:

- Talk Show Host – 7/4/00 Berlin – Out of hundreds of live performances, this one stands above the crowd. More pure undiluted ownage than an onager.

- Bishop’s Robes – 11/6/95 Cambridge – the live debut, in crystal clear pre-FM SBD.

- Union City Blue – 2/21/95 Paris “Black Session” – maybe Radiohead’s greatest-ever cover…a shame so few people know it.

- Big Boots – 11/10/95 Paris – If you’ve been paying attention you might have realized I’m sort of obsessed with this song. A SBD version from 11/21/95 in Italy exists (see a few posts back), but this is still the definitive performance, in great AUD quality. You’re my man-o-war, baby.

- True Love Waits – 12/5/95 Brussels – needs no introduction from me. If you’re unfamiliar with this version, you are quite simply not a real Radiohead fan. None of the post-2000 performances hold a candle to it. A well-taped AUD of one man in a tiny hall with a little acoustic guitar and a heart as big as all outdoors.

- I Promise – 4/16/95 Paris – A lot of people hate this one (including, it seems, the band) but it always plucked the painfully sincere registers of my heartstrings easily. Defintive performance, definitive sound quality. An AUD, but a hauntingly good AUD.

- Lift – 5/27/96 Pinkpop – Duh. You already own this. Congratulations, you have the definitive version.

Part 3: The OK Computer Era

Early OK Computer material

- Subterranean Homesick Alien – 4/4/95 KCRW ‘Morning Becomes Eclectic’ – the famous Thom & Jonny acoustic debut. You know this one already

- Lucky – 7/21/95 Atlanta – Recorded and released during the immediate post-Bends era but held over for OKC, this is the acoustic debut.

- No Surprises, Please – 12/4/95 Amsterdam – The acoustic debut. Truth be told, I like this early version far more than the final one.

- Electioneering – 4/4/96 Chicago – The Pinkpop performance is better-known, but this is the better blow (and a good SBD to boot). Back from the days when this song actually had an ending, albeit a semi-cheesy one.

- Airbag – 10/28/95 XFM Radio & 5/26/96 Le Bataclan – The first-mentioned is the acoustic world premiere (under the name “An Airbag Saved My Life”), the second is less well-known but even better: the full-band debut, sounding quite embryonic but still bursting with noisy AUD energy. Gotta hear it.

- Climbing Up The Walls – 8/14/96 Mansfield – The debut, from a much-degraded VHS tape of a SBD. Creepy even in prototypical form.

- Paranoid Android – 8/19/96 Continental Arena – Opening for Alannis Morrissette and blowing the teenyboppers’ minds, here’s the best-sounding version of the original “Paranoid Android” complete with its concluding instrumental jam/freak-out.

- Let Down – 8/19/96 Continental Arena – There are earlier versions of this available, particularly the debut from 3/14/96. But frankly that one’s a fucking mess and with questionable sound to boot. This is a fine AUD of a fine performance.

OK Computer

- Airbag – 6/24/97 Utrecht – do not fuck with this version, everything about it (guitars, screaming Yorke vocal, funky bass) will flay your skin from your bones and turn it into a set of flesh-bongos.

- Paranoid Android – 6/24/97 – You might as well choose your own for this one, because there are hundreds. But I love this one again for the enthusiasm of the early OKC tour (“Good luck if yer gonna try clapping along to this, HA!”).

- Subterranean Homesick Alien – 12/19/97 Hammerstein – famous and definitive.

- Exit Music (For A Film) – 8/26/97 Hammerstein – A confession: I really don’t like this song. It’s a draggy, melodramatic bore, and a momentum killer for almost any show. Except this one. This is an AUD, and it’s strange to recommend because there are so many quality SBD performances available, but…the bass. My god, Colin’s bass. The murderous, overpowering, fluid bass. In every SBD you’ll hear the bass is mixed way down; on this AUD it takes the song over entirely. It makes this one of the only versions of “Exit Music” I genuinely love.

- Let Down – 12/19/97 Hammerstein – Again, famous and definitive.

- Karma Police – 6/4/03 Electric Lady – I could go the rest of my life without hearing this song again, but if I have to hear any version it’ll be this Thom & Jonny version from Electric Lady Studios.

- Electioneering – 12/19/97 Hammerstein – never cared for this song, but here’s the version to own if you need just one.

- Climbing Up The Walls – 6/8/06 Toronto – One of the few OKC songs that remained fresh well into the band’s later career, this just might be my favorite version, from the pre-In Rainbows tour. So violent it verges on obscenity.

- No Surprises – 6/24/97 Utrecht – If I’m going to hear this song, I want to hear the Utrecht version.

- Lucky – 6/24/97 Utrecht – Hey, notice how I keep selecting performances from the Utrecht show? Trust me, it’s not because I haven’t heard tons of other shows. It’s because this is literally one of the greatest nights of Radiohead’s career.

- The Tourist – 12/19/97 Hammerstein – I love this song but it could be a clusterfuck live because of the demands it puts on Yorke’s voice. Here he nails all his notes and Jonny provides a Gilmour-esque solo for the ages.

B-sides & Rarities

- Polyethylene, Pt. 2 – 4/18/98 Radio City Music Hall – No SBD recordings exist, but this AUD makes it almost not matter. Thom blows the lyrics a bit, but otherwise a gem.

- A Reminder – 9/3/97 Astoria – Very few choices here, which is sad because it just might be my favorite pre-Kid A B-side. This hissy AUD will have to do, but the quality of the performance still manages to come through.

- Pearly* – 4/17/98 Radio City Music Hall – There are quite a few decent recordings of this from the Amnesiac tour, but none of them are quite as riveting as this late OKC version from the first night at Radio City.

- Palo Alto – 2/27/95 2 Meter Session – The only performance we have, so an easy choice. Fine FM sound of a very early version of “Palo Alto” (the first verse only), with different, hashed-out lyrics.

- Last Flowers – 12/19/97 Hammerstein (soundcheck) – I mentioned this one already in my “Stray Tracks” discussion, it’s a haunting (and quite well-recorded) soundcheck for the MTV Hammerstein Ballroom show. Yorke doesn’t quite finish the song, but plays 97% of it.

- How To Disappear Completely And Never Be Found – 4/18/98 Radio City Music Hall – You’d have to be nuts not to already have this one, as it’s the best-recorded version of the proto-HTDC, complete with an extra verse and no idea how to end the damn thing.

- Nude – 4/2/98 San Francisco – There are several great versions of this from the latter parts of the OKC tour, including the 1/23/98 Akasaka Blitz acoustic debut and the fine 4/13/98 Montreal performance, but this one is famous for a reason. You’ve almost certainly already heard this.

- Motion Picture Soundtrack – 8/26/97 Hammerstein – Why in god’s name would you ever want to hear any other version of “Motion Picture Soundtrack” than this one?

Part 4: The Kid A Era

Kid A:

- Everything In Its Right Place – 11/15/00 BBC ‘Evening Session’ – Again, there are approximately four billion excellent-sounding live versions of this song (and several other Kid A stalwarts) out there, but damned if I don’t keep coming back again and again to this version recorded for the BBC. Perfect sound quality, of course, and easily available on the Kid A 2CD reissue.

- Kid A – 7/4/00 Berlin – What, you thought I wasn’t going to select this? I personally take credit for turning on a lot of Atease members TO this live performance. So much better than every other version out there that it’s actually funny – this is as easy a pick as I’ve ever made. Shits all over the 2003 (and later) arrangement.

- The National Anthem – 11/15/00 BBC ‘Evening Session’ – Another song for which there are a ton of great live versions, this one wins for its flawless sound quality and, of course, IT’S GOT THE HORNS.

- How To Disappear Completely – 4/28/01 Canal+ – Not just a fantastic performance but a unique one as well: Thom, Jonny, and a fleet of guest Ondes players (who brought their own instruments to Paris just to play on this song) give this HTDC a very haunting, free-floating atmosphere. Find it on the Kid A reissue

- Optimistic – 3/2/08 From The Basement – As much as I love early Kid A tour versions (e.g. 7/4/00 Berlin), I’ve got to hand it to this sparkling revision done for the From The Basement collection. A slight rearrangement of the original, and an improvement

- In Limbo – 9/19/00 Nijmegen – The best versions of “In Limbo” all hail from the Kid A tour, where the addition of Nigel Godrich on tambourine gave the arrangement a lot more rhythmic texture.

- Idioteque – 11/27/03 Earls Court – I get tired of this one (again because it’s played at every show) but I could never get tired of this version, which sounds like it was played after the band freebased a shitload of uncut crystal meth: faster than earlier versions, more frenetic, an absolutely spazzed-out vocal, some truly insane guitar dissonance after the break, and all in perfect sound. In fact, I almost believe that half of Earl’s Court reputation as a classic Radiohead show comes from this song. Hear it and you will believe.

- Morning Bell – 10/2/00 Warrington – This one went over so well live that it’s hard to find a BAD performance, but Warrington remains my favorite for the perfect squall of noise guitar that Ed closes it all out with.

- Motion Picture Soundtrack – 4/28/01 Canal+ – If you ask me MPS never really worked well live (it needs a real harmonium as opposed to the ersatz organ approximation used onstage), but there’s no question that this is the best-sounding version by far, primarily because the perfect mix allows those organ notes to echo and resonate instead of sounding dry as dust. 6/23/01 The Gorge is also worth checking out, as it’s seemingly played on a different synth.

Amnesiac:

- Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box – 8/3/01 Toronto – Can’t really polish a turd, and this song was a turd live. But if you want to hear the spit-shiniest turd ever, check out this great AUD from Molson Park in Barrie/Toronto from 2001.

- Pyramid Song – 9/19/00 Nijmegen – Another one that didn’t always translate live (it needs the strings) but this glorious SBD from early in the tent tour almost convinces me.

- You And Whose Army? – 7/4/00 Berlin – A lot of YAWAs are tough to take because Thom often chooses this song to be at his most off-key. Early on, though he was trying. The only demerit is that Ed’s backing vox are practically inaudible – check out 9/19/00 to hear a version where he’s practically the lead singer on the second half.

- I Might Be Wrong – 11/27/03 Earls Court – MUCH faster than they originally played it (to hear a great version at the original speed, check out 4/28/01 Canal+) but that’s a good thing because this song was always crying out to be heard as a piece of frustrated thrashing.

- Knives Out – 9/29/03 KROQ Radio – Try as I might, I can’t find a full-band version that measures up to this sparkling Thom & Jonny radio performance. Found on the Gagging Order: Acoustic Recordings bootleg.

- Dollars And Cents – 7/4/00 Berlin – Surprisingly well developed even early on.

- Hunting Bears – 12/4/03 Dublin – Yes! There is such a thing as a ‘definitive’ live version of “Hunting Bears!” And here it is!

- Like Spinning Plates – 8/8/01 Cuyahoga Falls – First version, best version, most easily available version (on the I Might Be Wrong – Live Recordings EP).

- Life In A Glasshouse – 6/9/01 Jools Holland – There has only been one live performance ever of this song. This is it.

B-sides & Rarities:

- Fog – 7/3/03 Le Reservoir – The well-known B-side of “Go To Sleep.”

- Follow Me Around – 9/29/03 KROQ – A great acoustic run-through of this Kid A-era ‘lost’ song (though it may appear on LP9)

- Thief – 10/2/00 Warrington – The well-known Can cover, this is the best and best-sounding version. Might actually improve upon the original.

- Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses – 6/23/01 Gorge – Another famous one-off.

• 2 weeks later...

sono incuriosito anch'io da questo live... avevo sentito parlarne bene, per via di una paranoid android "inedita".

un'unica domanda: quale mi consigli di scaricare fra le due date (26/27)?

grazie in anticipo

ti consiglio di scaricarli entrambi!

la prima notte ha versioni fantastiche di kid a, i will, there there,the gloaming e where i end and you begin.

ma forse anche meglio è la seconda in cui trovi forse la migliore go to sleep sentita (assolo furioso ed epilettico di jonny e la folla che canta il suo nome!), follow me around e creep, e ottime rese di backdrifts, exit music, i might be wrong (mai suonata cosi veloce e con una citazione finale di please degli u2).

la paranoid android di cui parli pare diversa perchè a Thom gli si rompe una corda della chtarra acustica..!

' timestamp='1303679237' post='481610']

sono d'accordo con il commento a Karma Police, ma la mia versione preferita è quella del Benicassim Festival 2002, quando Thom smette di cantare e rimane Ed a fare i coretti :prego:

esibizione piena di problemi tecnici, ma bella proprio per questo.

(inizia a 5:12)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdjMztwdg_s

ahahha,,,,ma tecnicamente cos'è successo?

e che sguardo fa Thom...."this is what you get"....pauuuura :)