Stanley Donwood (artwork)

Lacatus

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Stanley Donwood ha deciso di ripetere la serie London Views (per intenderci quella dell'artwork di The Eraser) ispirandosi questa volta al paesaggio di Los Angeles.

No sooner than I had returned to England from San Francisco I got back on an aeroplane and went to Los Angeles. This is not a recommended route and is definitely the long way round. As a result my mind is rotating slowly in a weary sort of dementia.

So, anyway, the idea - the point - was to attempt to repeat what I did a few years ago with London Views,1 only this time using the city of Los Angeles as the tragic victim of fire, flood, and whatever else I could throw at it, carved in linoleum in a quasi-medieval style. I ordered a vast expanse of linoleum and made sure not to take my pointy chisel in my hand luggage, as you could really hurt somebody with it, were you a crazed killing sort of person.

I ended up with a length of linoleum one foot high by eighteen feet long, which is five feet longer than London Views was. This may or may not turn out to be a good thing. It's certainly going to be something of a challenge to cut, and an absolute fucking bastard to print.

The thing is, I have got a bit more fancy with the chisel since London Views, having 'honed my skills' on the linocut called Fleet Street Apocalypse,2 and now it takes me about five times longer to cut a square foot of lino, especially as I'm including features such as the demented Victoriana shown above. This is from an area in Los Angeles which is completely overrun with this kind of thing; wooden houses built around the turn of the 20th century, tricked out wth all kinds of carved and painted decoration. It's apparently 'the place to be' at Halloween. I think the house above is on Carroll Street, but I'm not sure.

So the print will, when complete, show a vast panorama from the Disney castle in Anaheim to the Pacific Ocean at Malibu, taking in Downtown, Hollywood, Sunset, Beverly Hills and much more on the way, the whole being destroyed by diverse means. And despite this dreadful vision, I must point out that I quite like Los Angeles; the palm trees, the telegraph wires, the faded grandeur of Broadway, the voodoo chemist's shops, and the overall out-there eye-popping craziness.

Notes:

1. London Views was a linocut I made in 2006 or thereabouts; it became variously an eponymous exhibition, the artwork for Thom Yorke's record 'The Eraser', a mural on the outside of the XL record label's offices and a really expensive jigsaw. More here.

2. Fleet Street Apocalypse was a large linocut done specifically to be printed on the last working press in London's Fleet Street, home for many centuries to a wide variety of printed periodicals and books. More here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

è apparsa una nuova foto

con quello che dovrebbe essere la base per l'artwork dell'Lp8!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(la foto risale infatti a un anno fa)

lastyear.jpg

:bava: :bava: :bava: :bava: :bava: :bava:

SBAV!!!!

ecco una foto più recente...presumibilmente datata giugno 2010.

In%20the%20Shed.jpg

il terzo quadro da sinistra è stato riempito di colori, come già era il quarto da sinistra... il secondo da sinistra ha avuto una spennellata di giallo-verde e nero ed altre aggiunte colorate...

• 3 weeks later...

nuovo post di Stanley Donwood

sta lavorando a una stampa simile all'artwork di The Eraser, ma ambientata a Los Angeles invece che Londra

LAtestprints.jpg

Potrebbe uscire un disco live degli atoms for peace quindi? Dubito si tratti dell'artwork del nuovo radiohead o di un secondo di yorke. Penso ad una nuova pubblicazione del materiale di the eraser nella versione live degli atoms.

E' plausibile secondo voi?

Potrebbe uscire un disco live degli atoms for peace quindi? Dubito si tratti dell'artwork del nuovo radiohead o di un secondo di yorke. Penso ad una nuova pubblicazione del materiale di the eraser nella versione live degli atoms.

E' plausibile secondo voi?

Secondo me: SI.

Se non addirittura ad un album studio degli Atom(s)....

Secondo me: SI.

Se non addirittura ad un album studio degli Atom(s)....

Cerco di analizzare razionalmente la questione

Pensando alla grafica

1) un album in studio sullo stesso materiale di the eraser sarebbe coerente con la grafica di Stanley. Ma non credo Yorke voglia riregistrare the eraser in studio. Escluderei

2) un album in studio su del nuovo materiale...beh a quel punto Stanley farebbe un altro artwork completamente diverso, altrimenti avrebbe ben poca fantasia. Escluderei anche tale considerazione

A questo punto la conclusione razionale è:

Album dal vivo degli atoms su materiale the eraser (magari anche con altre songs del tour). Magari una parte delle entrate derivanti dalla vendita verrà data in beneficenza.

Quella irrazionale è:

Elucubrazione di Stanley fine a se stessa

• 1 month later...