Stanley Donwood (artwork)

Lacatus

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In assoluto la sua personale più completa: c'è tutto Donwood. Molte di queste opere le vedemmo a Roma 5 anni fa.

Penso che la preparazione di questa mostra gli abbia impedito di dedicare i bricioli di energia residua all'artwork dell'LP9. Ci lavorerà a partire da quest'estate, assieme a Thom.

The soundtrack is called "Subterranea", according to Australian radio station Triple J. On Twitter, Donwood shared a video of the exhibit where Yorke's soundtrack is audible. You can check that out here, and check out some of the images from the exhibit below.

Triple J reports that Yorke's soundtrack is divided into three levels, quoting a press release as saying, "subs will boom from the floor, mids will echo through the walls, while the highs rain down from the ceiling."

http://pitchfork.com/news/59669-thom-yorke-soundtracks-radiohead-artist-stanley-donwoods-art-exhibit/

Lac secondo me hanno gia' le idee moooolto piu' chiare di quanto tu pensi ;)

An exhibition at Sydneys Carriageworks of artist Stanley Donwoods artwork for the seminal rock band Radiohead considers the value of album art in the era of mp3s and online streaming.

Could you conjure a vision of Radiohead if its album covers had not featured the evocative, signature art that has become synonymous with the music?

At Carriageworks an exhibition by English artist and long-time Radiohead collaborator Stanley Donwood shows how the relationship between a band and artist can became fundamental to the audiences perception of the music.

The move towards music streaming has changed the way artists and musicians work together, yet Donwood believes artists will continue to adapt their work with the rise of digital.

I think people are endlessly inventive and will find ways of doing stuff, he says.

The exhibition, The Panic Office, is on show at Carriageworks as part of the design festival Semi-Permanent.

Co-founder and director of Semi-Permanent, Murray Bell, says it is rare these days for an artist to have such a close relationship with a set of musicians, as Donwood has with the members of Radiohead.

The artwork that [Donwood] creates for the albums, for the singles, for anything is an extension of the music, or the music is an extension of the artwork, says Bell.

[it] has become the most iconic music artwork to date, and I think when you look at it as a volume it tells huge stories of transitions that these individuals have gone through.

Donwood has worked with Radiohead since 1994 designing artwork for their entire discography and career, along with Thom Yorkes solo projects and offshoot band, Atoms for Peace.

His work, like Radioheads music, is dark and evocative in tone and theme. The 25 years of album sleeves, tour posters and prints reach across a range of mediums from linocut to paint, photography and experimental digital adaption.

Donwood says that because of the internets ad-hock development, many people have grown up with the idea that music is free which has impacted the necessity of packaging.

If music is free then the way that we get money for musicians [is] radically reduced so the luxury of wrapping your music in the sort of thing I do becomes the preserve of bands like Radiohead, says Donwood.

The eye-catching visuals of famous albums such Pink Floyds The Dark Side of the Moon with its light-refracting prism by Storm Thorgerson; Andy Warhols cover for the Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers and his banana artwork for The Velvet Underground & Nico; and Martin Sharps psychedelic posters for Jimi Hendrix have all had integral roles in the audiences perception of the musicians. The move towards digital spurs the question of how this relationship may evolve.

Commercial illustrators Sonny Day and Biddy Maroney of We Buy Your Kids design packaging for bands such as Hungry Kids of Hungary and Something For Kate, and agree the move towards mp3 and music streaming has changed the value of album art.

Before we all had ready access to music over the internet, the visual would often be that crazy, alluring glimpse of a band's energy, says Maroney.
But if anything it's created a possibility for a band to place greater emphasis on physical packaging and having amazing art.

Pete Salmon-Lomas, artistic director for album covers by musicians such as Paul Kelly and Kate Miller-Heidke, sees not a shrinking market but more opportunity for album artwork to be seen across musics many distribution formats and platforms.

While its not necessarily a tangible interaction, the devices that we use to listen to music this way are highly visual things, so artwork fits well in this world.

It means the physical package can be more than just a printed version of that image and has the chance to be something more covetable.

There is much greater scope in terms of what is possible. The world of digital artwork is only really scratching the surface now and I imagine will be become more important as things evolve.

Its still about the music and the story an artist wants to tell. Thats the most important part, and that hasnt really changed, and probably won't.

Chissà....chissà... Secondo me finché non c'è una direzione musicale precisa per l'LP9, Stanley non alza un dito. Penso che la direzione l'abbiano trovata adesso a maggio coi primi mix... quindi direi che, tempo di tornare da Sydney, e Stanley si lascerà ispirare dalla nuova musica...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=oe_oRpk-5Bw

http://concreteplayground.com/sydney/arts-entertainment/art/artist-stanley-donwoods-retrospective-goes-beyond-the-radiohead-album-covers

Donwood promises that he won’t be slowing down in his art anytime soon. Right now, he’s planning more collaborative work with Yorke in which he hopes he and the musician can together break habit and produce some non-narrative and non-figurative works.

Adoro Stanley.

...ma Napoli-Liverpool 0-0 era più importante... :(

Donwood promises that he won’t be slowing down in his art anytime soon. Right now, he’s planning more collaborative work with Yorke in which he hopes he and the musician can together break habit and produce some non-narrative and non-figurative works.

Ecco ecco... interessante... Quindi i lavori per l'artwork dell'LP9 devono ancora cominciare, visto? Ora che ci sono i primi mix...

...ma Napoli-Liverpool 0-0 era più importante... :(

Ecco ecco... interessante... Quindi i lavori per l'artwork dell'LP9 devono ancora cominciare, visto? Ora che ci sono i primi mix...

per me sta parlando di tutt'altra roba li: break habit, non-narrative (non testi) non figurative (nn immagini). Magari scriveranno una commedia a 4 mani ;) (e soprattutto parla di Yorke nn di Radiohead)

" It means the physical package can be more than just a printed version of that image and has the chance to be something more covetable. There is much greater scope in terms of what is possible. The world of digital artwork is only really scratching the surface now and I imagine will be become more important as things evolve. "

"some non-narrative and non-figurative works"

vado a controllare se Polyfauna ha ricevuto aggiornamenti :D

mi pare abbastanza esplicito ormai che vedremo una cosa del genere.

magari il fatto che siano in fase "planning" è indice del fatto che devono mettersi d'accordo con gli sviluppatori. probabilmente gli stessi di polyfauna.

per me, quando cominceranno a girare screenshot strani su twitter o schizzi (come successe per tmb, molti erano solo schizzi per i mondi, come quello di interference) sapremo che stanno lavorando

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features/42845/Behind_the_art_of_Radiohead_with_the_bands_seventh_member_Stanley_Donwood?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"and in recent months he has been busy making artwork for Radiohead’s ninth LP, expected to drop at some point in the very near future"

Notoriously, Donwood’s first efforts for 2011’s The King of Limbs were abandoned – portraits of the band members done in oils. “Disastrous!” he hurrumphs, “I’ve learned my lesson.” Artwork for the forthcoming release is heading in a similar direction. Since last September, Donwood has spent roughly five weeks in the studio with the band and while he definitely can’t comment on the progress of the new ALBUM (“Radiohead Official Secret Act”) he’s also very reluctant to talk about the new ALBUM cover. “I probably shouldn’t talk about it. It’s not going very well. Disastrously, in fact. I’m trying to do something I haven’t done before, which is to disregard my innate propensity to tell stories and work figuratively. I’m trying to shed all of that and work with colour, form, energy, all of that. I’ve been talking about qigong and yoga as a way to understand how to let work be itself and not force it to be what I want it to be. Away from politics and into energetic flow. But it’s not working,” he sighs. “It will work. Nothing works to start with. That’s the thing, you just have to keep going.”

Lac dove seiiii??? :D

In pratica nel 2011 inizialmente tkol doveva avere un artwork basato su dei dipinti ad olio dei nostri. Il risultato fu disastroso. Anche per l'artwork dell'LP9 il lavoro si è rivelato disastroso ma lui ovviamente non si perde d'animo. Quindi siamo ancora in alto mare per l'artwork.

Sta cercando di lavorare al di fuori del suo solito metodo, ovvero quello di raccontare storie e metterle in immagini per farsi trascinare più dalla corrente, dalle sensazioni, cercando di trarne energia ma niente.

Eppure lui è convinto che funzionerà poiché nulla è fatto per funzionare all'inizio.

In pratica nel 2011 inizialmente tkol doveva avere un artwork basato su dei dipinti ad olio dei nostri. Il risultato fu disastroso.

Questo mi pare fosse noto. Tanto che mi sembra di aver letto da qualche parte che i due "ectoplasmi" sulla copertina di TKOL nasconderebbero due dei "ritratti" abortiti.

Sul resto non saprei quanto credere a Stanley o al giornalista che lungo tutto il pezzo sembra essere abbastanza ironico sulla "cortina di ferro" che circonda l'Lp9.

Ps fichissima la parte sull'idea originaria della copertina di HTTT: questa davvero nn l'avevo mai sentita :P

Ps fichissima la parte sull'idea originaria della copertina di HTTT: questa davvero nn l'avevo mai sentita :P

"...A giant penis made of chicken wire and covered in astroturf"

Non ho idea di cosa siano sti ''chicken wire''. Astroturf l'ho dovuto cercare, è l'erba sintetica.

Sai che cosa kitsch! Menomale che Thom l'abbia bocciata come idea.

Sembra più una roba da album per i Flaming Lips.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/features/42845/Behind_the_art_of_Radiohead_with_the_bands_seventh_member_Stanley_Donwood?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"and in recent months he has been busy making artwork for Radiohead’s ninth LP, expected to drop at some point in the very near future"

Notoriously, Donwood’s first efforts for 2011’s The King of Limbs were abandoned – portraits of the band members done in oils. “Disastrous!” he hurrumphs, “I’ve learned my lesson.” Artwork for the forthcoming release is heading in a similar direction. Since last September, Donwood has spent roughly five weeks in the studio with the band and while he definitely can’t comment on the progress of the new ALBUM (“Radiohead Official Secret Act”) he’s also very reluctant to talk about the new ALBUM cover. “I probably shouldn’t talk about it. It’s not going very well. Disastrously, in fact. I’m trying to do something I haven’t done before, which is to disregard my innate propensity to tell stories and work figuratively. I’m trying to shed all of that and work with colour, form, energy, all of that. I’ve been talking about qigong and yoga as a way to understand how to let work be itself and not force it to be what I want it to be. Away from politics and into energetic flow. But it’s not working,” he sighs. “It will work. Nothing works to start with. That’s the thing, you just have to keep going.”

Lac dove seiiii??? :D

B.E.L.L.I.S.S.I.M.O. :bava:

Donwood’s original concept for the Hail to the Thief cover was a giant penis made of chicken wire and covered in astroturf, thrusting towards a bank of clouds shaped like a vagina.

Ricorda la spiegazione che ci diede a Roma quando ci facemmo spiegare le opere di questa serie...

http://citizeninsane.eu/ifyoulivedhere/cleft_mall.jpg

The soundscape is based on a previous work, Subterranea, created by Yorke for another Donwood installation in 2011, Mithras Tauroctonos Subterranea, a labyrinth in an underground train station in London

"Thom has done a new version of Subterranea, Part Two," Donwood says. It is based on field recordings taken over 24 hours in a Dorset holloway, a sunken pathway with trees arching in a tunnel overhead that has become a recurring theme in Donwood's art. "So there's lots of bird song and distant sound, but if you give sound files to Thom he will do things to them. So he has done unspeakable things to the lovely mellifluous sounds of an English country day. Now it sounds really quite menacing."

Three different tracks play simultaneously, one from sub-base woofers as visitors enter the space - "you'll hear a very low sound at first" - one from mid-range speakers, and one from top-range speakers suspended from the ceiling. "So once you're right inside in the middle you'll get the whole thing."

The soundscape also constantly shifts during the Sydney installation's 18 days on display, as the three tracks are played on random shuffle. "Mathematically if you have three things and you play them together at different times, the number of permutations is enormous," Donwood says. "So anyone who comes in at a different time will hear a different permutation of Subterranea Version Two."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/10-things-you-should-know-about-radiohead-artist-stanley-donwood-20150529-ghcz91.html#ixzz3bbYqE1NM

• 2 weeks later...