Wall of Eyes (LP2)

Lacatus

1 minute ago, Lacatus said:

Ah ecco!

Pensavo fossero cuciti cuciti, e invece... :balla:

A voler pensare male si direbbe che abbiano dato l'esclusiva ad Uncut in cambio del primo posto 🤪

comunque sono curiosa di leggere. Pomeriggio vedo se riesco a recuperarla.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eccola

“EVERYTHING MOVED VERY FAST”

All three members of The Smile on creating Uncut’s album of 2022 

THOM YORKE 

UNCUT: Congratulations on releasing Uncut’s album of the year! At what point during the making of the record did you think, ‘This could be something special’? YORKE: Thank you. I have long since really thought like that, to be honest. What I may feel for something and what others do remains a mystery to me. Experience has taught me to never take anything like that for granted, not ever. 

What was different about the process for this one, compared with any albums you’ve made previously? It was a very sporadic process – there were long pauses for a number of reasons, the pandemic being a big one, some of it done remotely online. But when we got together, everything moved very fast and naturally, much faster than I am used to, and I was having to catch up with the vocals, which was a nice challenge. A lot of first response going on; things happened before we could overthink. 

There are moments on the album, particularly “Free In The Knowledge”, that feel almost hopeful. What gives you hope at the moment? Other people. You know… the normal ones. Not the right-wing freaks currently feeding off fear and hate that have taken our governments hostage. Perhaps we have all forgotten, but there was a lot of taking to the streets going on during the pandemic, a huge women’s movement formed and then Black Lives Matter. I took part in the huge Brexit protest march in London with my family – Ican’t remember ever seeing so many people together in one place. Some said close to a million. This all had a very deep effect on me. There is only so long right-wing zealots can gaslight their own population, and as we are seeing, their empty promises and use of force mean very little when millions take to the streets.

“I THINK WE’RE ALL LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING BACK IN THE STUDIO” 

“Don’t bore us/Get to the chorus” – ironic critique of dumbing down or genuine note to self? 

Sarcasm. 

What have been your other musical and cultural highlights of 2022? 

Music: Gilla Band, Sarah Davachi, 

Elucid, Overmono, Blawan, Fontaines DC, Quelle Chris. TV: The Offer, Severance, The Bear. Movies: Women Talking, Everything Everywhere All At Once. Book: George Monbiot’s Regenesis. And the slow, painful disintegration of Brexit and its pathetic delusions. 

JONNY GREENWOOD 

UNCUT: How does a Smile song take shape? Is there a lot of jamming, or do you begin with chords and a melody? 

GREENWOOD: Every song’s been different – some were already written – but broadly, there was just lots of frustration at not getting a chance to write or play with anyone, coupled with having many pent-up ideas. It was a glorious release, suddenly playing with Thom and Tom. It led to all this music suddenly coming to life. They’re very inspiring company – it was very fast. 

What did you learn about the songs from playing them ‘in the round’ for your livestreamed shows at Magazine in January? 

That was just a recreation of what it’s like in our rehearsal room, where we face each other. I think we were looking for reassurance from each other, and familiarity – rather than suddenly becoming a ‘performing band’ with all that involves. In fact our first rehearsal together was in 2018, so it’s been a long build-up. 

How enjoyable has it been to tear through the punkier, snottier numbers like “You Will Never Work In Television Again”? 

I was looking forward, for so long, to playing every note of it. And in fact to playing all the songs. It’s a huge vivifying kick to be writing and playing again, and to have a focus on creation and composing with people – it feels like an undeserved second chance.

The new Dennis Bovell anthology The Dubmaster is very addictive. Also the Solem Quartet’s The Four Quarters, which is beautiful, and introduced me to Cassandra Miller’s remarkable work. 

TOM SKINNER 

UNCUT: It must have been a little bit daunting to be invited into a group with Thom and Jonny. How did they put you at ease, and what kind of instruction or encouragement did they give you? 

SKINNER: The band has always felt like a three-way conversation. We all bring different things to the project, and from a musical perspective my knowledge and experience are coming from quite a different place to Thom and Jonny, so it’s felt really collaborative and like we’re all learning but also surprisingly complementary. I feel like I can be relaxed and myself musically as much as, or more, than at any other time. 

You’ve already aired several new songs. How do they show a progression from the first album, and when are you planning to record them?

We’ve had more time to play and perform as a band. It takes time to feel like a proper group outside of the studio – part of that is going through those hair-raising, seat-of-the-pants moments where you think everything is going to go to shit on stage. That brings you together as a unit, and spills over musically. We’re tighter, and what has already been a creatively productive experience is enhanced; the ideas flow more fluidly. I think we’re all looking forward to getting back in the studio. 

Some of your UK jazz scene compadres like Byron Wallen and Theon Cross make cameos on the album. Could you see them being more involved in future?

It was such a joy to be able to involve all the amazing players who contributed to the recording – close friends of mine and people I’ve worked with for many years. Going forward, I absolutely want to work as collaboratively as possible if the music calls for it, it really depends on the song. Robert Stillman, who performs on the record, has been opening for us around Europe and will be joining us again in the US. He’s a very special musician who has also been involved in some of the new music we’ve been making.

First response unit: Greenwood, Yorke and Skinner, aka The Smile 
ALEX LAKE/TWO SHORT DAYS 

Music: Sam Gendel, Billy Woods, Ingram Marshall, Low at Big Ears Festival, Meshell Ndegeocello at Meltdown, Joe Lovano Trio Tapestry at Newport Jazz Festival, Mica Levi’s ‘Star Star Star’ at Café Oto. Art: Faith Ringgold, Helen Frankenthaler. Books: The History Of Bones by John Lurie, The Passengers by Will Ashon. TV: RuPaul’s Drag Race. Film: The Hand Of God by Paolo Sorrentino.

INTERVIEWS: SAM RICHARDS

3 hours ago, Lurgee said:

A thom  gustano i gilla band 😜 (mercoledì, mercoledì, mercoledì!)

Chi sono dove dove dove. Devo sapere. 
Edit: visto al Biko. Vai? Magari ci penso anche se volevo già andare a vederci i Porridge Radio giovedì.

intanto stasera inizio the bear 

15 hours ago, Lacatus said:

Che minchia c'entra tutta sta discussione con LP2 degli Smile? :diav: 

Considerando le loro dichiarazioni scordiamoci LP2 per il 2023…stanno andando molto più a rilento di quello che pensavo…

Con tutti sti pezzi nuovi suonati live nel 2022 mi aspettavo fossero già in studio…

Più che altro l’estate del 2023 me li aspettavo nuovamente in tuor invece se il disco esce nel 2024 poi ci sarà un tour a supporto…

Per i RH a sto punto tempi lunghissimi…

19 hours ago, @li said:

Chi sono dove dove dove. Devo sapere. 
Edit: visto al Biko. Vai? Magari ci penso anche se volevo già andare a vederci i Porridge Radio giovedì.

intanto stasera inizio the bear 

si si ci vado e credo che sarà una esperienza (stile liars dei tempi andati).

The bear occhio che si piange forte 🥰

1 hour ago, Lurgee said:

si si ci vado e credo che sarà una esperienza (stile liars dei tempi andati).

The bear occhio che si piange forte 🥰

Mi fa un po’ paura (il concerto).

Con the bear pianto abbondantemente stanotte, confermo. Davvero bella comunque.

3 hours ago, @li said:

Mi fa un po’ paura (il concerto).

Con the bear pianto abbondantemente stanotte, confermo. Davvero bella comunque.

Vero vero (il finale: quando partono i nostri sono morto e rinato ). 

Vero vero concerto rischioso ma ma al prezzo di due birre accetto il rischio! 

(Scusate fine OT) 

47 minutes ago, Gasba said:

ma solo io sono convinto che LP2 sarà bellissimo?

Stando al primo album (salito sempre più) e quanto sentito degli inediti, non riesco a pensare diversamente.

come solo tu?
qua sono tutti stra-convinti che The Smile sono il gruppo migliore, se non della storia almeno del 2022, sicuro meglio dei Radiohead che tanto sono finiti ufficialmente.
The Smile LP2 sara' bellissimo. Non c'e' disucssione. Qui si discute solo su quando uscira'

57 minutes ago, Gasba said:

ma solo io sono convinto che LP2 sarà bellissimo?

Stando al primo album (salito sempre più) e quanto sentito degli inediti, non riesco a pensare diversamente.

Secondo me sarà bello (come lo è ALFAA del resto) ma personalmente sono un po’ “spaventata” perché se ALFAA nn mi ha fatto sentire la mancanza dei Radiohead (anzi continuo a pensarlo come LP10) temo che un distacco ancora più deciso dal loro stile, che è quello che si presagisce dagli inediti, potrebbe lasciarmi un po’ male.

2 hours ago, LiveAirSpace said:

come solo tu?
qua sono tutti stra-convinti che The Smile sono il gruppo migliore, se non della storia almeno del 2022, sicuro meglio dei Radiohead che tanto sono finiti ufficialmente.

ah sì??

2 hours ago, @li said:

temo che un distacco ancora più deciso dal loro stile, che è quello che si presagisce dagli inediti, potrebbe lasciarmi un po’ male.

Distaccarsi completamente "dal loro stile" penso sia impossibile per fortuna, ma il tentativo è pur sempre sano - l'alternativa è la fossa comune del riciclo, in cui giacciono ormai tutte le band con più di 20 anni di carriera.

4 hours ago, Gasba said:

Distaccarsi completamente "dal loro stile" penso sia impossibile per fortuna, ma il tentativo è pur sempre sano - l'alternativa è la fossa comune del riciclo, in cui giacciono ormai tutte le band con più di 20 anni di carriera.

Certo e come al solito di base mi fido di loro quindi sono positiva.

15 hours ago, @li said:

Secondo me sarà bello (come lo è ALFAA del resto) ma personalmente sono un po’ “spaventata” perché se ALFAA nn mi ha fatto sentire la mancanza dei Radiohead (anzi continuo a pensarlo come LP10) temo che un distacco ancora più deciso dal loro stile, che è quello che si presagisce dagli inediti, potrebbe lasciarmi un po’ male.

Ma meglio!

3 minutes ago, @li said:

comunque ascoltando un po' i Gilla Band sponsorizzati da Thom nn mi stupirei di un LP2 noise :P

Ma sì, come sempre sarà un gustosissimo fritto misto: dal post-rock di Bending Hectic, al pop alternativo di Bodies Laughing, passando per il kraut di It, l'afrobeat di Just Eyes And Mouth, l'etno-jazz di Colours Fly.

• CutToShreds changed the title to Wall of Eyes (LP2)