Stanley Donwood (artwork)

Lacatus

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.nme.com/news/music/stanley-donwood-radiohead-artist-thom-yorke-interview-glastonbury-sacred-cartography-3355946?fbclid=IwAR1zTAHoBlSd78KWhFSGOOAPUaIM5a4Oq7qgCbzur7e_Cq9_smWuQuZIf3A

Asked if he knew if Radiohead might return in the not-too-distant future, Donwood said: “I don’t know. Nobody tells me anything! I’m just down here in Brighton staring at the sea, waiting for their two-tone limo to start driving along the coast road for me to get in and do whatever they need me to do. I wouldn’t want to speculate.”

Is there anything he’d still love to see Radiohead do?

“The only thing that I always thought would be amazing would be a live record, but the problem is that they’re never all been happy enough with the same live recordings,” said Donwood. “I really liked the live records I’ve had of other artists like Bowie. They’re so nice because you feel like you’re there! I don’t know what we’ll do next.”

So we won’t see a 20th anniversary celebration of ‘Hail To The Thief’ next year?

“Jesus Christ, no!” answered Donwood. “The 20th anniversary of ‘Kid A’ and ‘Amnesiac’ was the killer. If we kept doing that we’d be on a treadmill, then you’d do the 40th anniversary, then you’d be dead. It would be too grim. I’d rather do something else.”

18 minutes ago, @li said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/stanley-donwood-radiohead-artist-thom-yorke-interview-glastonbury-sacred-cartography-3355946?fbclid=IwAR1zTAHoBlSd78KWhFSGOOAPUaIM5a4Oq7qgCbzur7e_Cq9_smWuQuZIf3A

Asked if he knew if Radiohead might return in the not-too-distant future, Donwood said: “I don’t know. Nobody tells me anything! I’m just down here in Brighton staring at the sea, waiting for their two-tone limo to start driving along the coast road for me to get in and do whatever they need me to do. I wouldn’t want to speculate.”

Praticamente questa scena :lol:

3 minutes ago, @li said:

sulla copertina di ALFAA 

Sì, molto interessante: 

“I’ve tried to move away from that,” he explained. “The world hasn’t gotten any less dystopian or depressing; it’s gone the other way. After the coronavirus situation, I thought, ‘Jesus Christ, the world has enough to worry about without me adding to it with a load of depressing pictures of doom’. So I’ve tried to lighten the fuck up a bit, but it’s difficult to shift the habit of a lifetime. People like colour. I recently wrote ‘colour sells’ on my wall.

“I’ve been doing for a long time with these landscapes that leak colour into the sky, but The Smile stuff is very different. Thom and I were working in a very small studio and ended up working on the same painting at the same time. It’s a lot more egalitarian now. It’s not very combative and seems to work quite well. He’s very good at the hills and I’m very good at the sea.”

Chi c'era a Roma nel 2010 ( tipo @Valderrama ) ricorderà che già prima che uscisse The King Of Limbs, Stanley parlava di "colourful". 

A proposito: che la nuova canzone degli Smile Colours Fly sia dedicata proprio al buon Stanlio? :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

due stampe del crying minotaur in vendita qui https://slowlydownward.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

Good evening. Or morning, or whatever it might be where you currently are. Here are two new screen prints from the Slowly Downward Manufactory; 'Little Boxes' and 'Will You Come Back To Me?' Both of these pictures were originally made following a probably ill-advised journey to Tokyo where I took lots of photographs and spent time in toyshops, where I think the idea for the crying Minotaur may have taken some inspiration. Ingredients for 'Little Boxes' included thermal fax paper, drawings of memories from bad dreams and a broken-down old typewriter, while elements of 'Will You Come Back To Me?' are from photos of various Tokyo underpasses and urban stairwells, as well as certain Tokyo interiors.

The crying Minotaur became a significant figure in my mind following the trip to Japan. I think I meant it to seem both tragic and kind of cute. I've written elsewhere about the mythological aspects of the Minotaur but I think I forgot about the cute, Tokyo toyshop side of it. I was really taken with the hundreds of little characters, the many creatures for children to play with and inhabit with their imaginations. Anyway, I ramble... So yes, two new prints made from work originally produced at the very turn of this fine, brave millennium! As ever, if you find yourself interested and might like to find out more about, or even perhaps buy one, do click the link below. Adieu.

SD-3945-1000x1000.jpg

SD-3948-1000x1000.jpg

Da quando un idiota di postino non mi ha dato in consegna un poster di amnesia che avevo ordinato, ficcandomi l'avviso di giacenza talmente in fondo alla cassetta che non l'ho visto, ho perso il poster e cerco qualcosa da appendere al muro; poi ho visto i prezzi di stanley.... :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 10:42 AM, Lacatus said:

Stanley a lavoro sul LP2 degli Smile

Gesù cristo, io ti prego, ti prego affinché non lo rovinino come al solito. Perché, caro Gesù Cristo, è davvero carino questo artwork ma porca puttana, Gesù Cristo, devono sempre rovinare tutto. Non farglielo rovinare! 

• 1 month later...